Film and TV Reporter at Vox Media
Title: Film & TV Reporter, The Verge
Location: Remote (US Only)
We’re looking for a reporter to cover the interconnected worlds of film and television. As part of the entertainment team, you’ll be tasked with helping define the voice and direction of our film and TV coverage. That means helping lay the foundation for our day-to-day news coverage, including what kinds of stories we should be hitting regularly and how; this will involve both writing daily pieces and working closely with our news team to vet potential stories. This work would be balanced with longer-form reporting and criticism, which could mean everything from interviews with stars to reviews of the latest releases to reports on the latest fandom drama. Our ideal candidate has a deep knowledge of the film and TV industries, from Marvel blockbusters to the latest sci-fi indie darling, along with an ability to find the most important or interesting stories and a willingness to publish every day.
What you’ll do:
- Work closely with The Verge’s news and entertainment teams to help solidify our day-to-day news coverage and voice.
- Stay on top of the latest releases by contributing regular reviews and analysis of new shows and movies.
- Tackle more ambitious writing and reporting that can explore the behind the scenes of how projects are made — from a technical, business, and creative standpoint — along with the communities that form around them.
- Be able to respond quickly. That could mean breaking news, or quick turnaround follow-up reporting or analysis.
- Be collaborative, and willing to work with people from across beats and disciplines for larger projects.
- Occasionally work nights or weekends to cover live events.
What you’ll bring:
- Experience reporting for major print and digital media publications.
- Deep knowledge of and passion for the film and TV industries, ideally with some background on ancillary topics like streaming and gaming.
- The ability to write with speed and precision.
- A desire to delve into the strange and complex communities and fandom that emerge from popular franchises.
- An ability to shift between serious reporting and fun, silly blogging depending on the story.
- A critical eye and the desire to write reviews of new releases.
Please include links to 3 clips in your cover letter
This role is a part of the Vox Media Union, represented by the Writers Guild of America, East
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You’ll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that’s challenging and fun and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.