Thorn is a non-profit that builds technology to defend children from sexual abuse. This crime respects no geographic boundaries. To effectively combat this global problem, Thorn builds deep and diverse global networks to support our mission. Our work in Europe has the opportunity to become a transformative geography in our strategy. To that end, this role is an investment in exponentially accelerating our global impact. As Thorn’s first full-time European team member, you will be our ambassador to this community.
Working at Thorn allows you to apply your skills, expertise, and passions to directly impact the lives of vulnerable and abused children. Our staff solves dynamic, quickly evolving problems collaboratively. We actively work with partners in the tech industry, NGOs, and law enforcement agencies. If you can bring clarity to complexity and lightness to heavy issues, you could be an excellent fit for our team.
To learn more about our mission and vision, listen to our CEO’s TED talk on setting an audacious vision to solve a critical need.
About the Role:
Thorn has three key strategies driving our mission: victim identification, tech industry activation, and youth empowerment. The European Program Manager will work with Thorn’s Victim Identification team to expand our international partnerships guiding concurrent major workstreams to deliver on Thorn’s vision to eliminate child sexual abuse from the internet. You are a relationship builder everywhere you work. You understand how to work directly with cross-functional stakeholders, drive teams to concrete goals, and unify differing perspectives through shared purpose. You understand how technology and data are used to inform requirements and strategy. You are drawn to complex problems, challenging the status quo, and creative problem-solving in a complicated issue space, and you develop unified strategies to execute your work in that environment. A successful candidate will have existing relationships within local governments, or non profits working at the intersections of child safety and technology.
As the European Program Manager, you have the opportunity to communicate directly with leadership, making data-driven portfolio recommendations on how to deliver your strategic roadmap. You navigate nuance and perspective with humility, intuition, and expertise to weigh the trade-offs of short term opportunities, and long-term strategies, further developing our culture of partner led influence.
What You’ll Do:
- Steward existing and identify new key partners that can enable and scale Thorn’s mission impact in the context of the ecosystem.
- Represent cultural nuance on behalf of key partners in Thorn’s work
- Develop the strategy for a complex and unified technical approach to connect data across multiple partners at scale, collaborating successfully with external stakeholders and other cross-functional teams
- Build systems and processes that improve upon existing Thorn best practices to scale the impact of the Victim Identification team and ecosystem at large.
- Own planning and execution of multiple strategic programs with the ability to drive successful delivery of our objectives.
- Develop strong, productive, and positive stakeholder relationships, including engaging with or preparing internal partners to engage with C-level sponsors,
- Lead and facilitate meetings – proactively communicating progress against project deadlines, potential blockers, and other key developments.
- Create compelling presentations to communicate complex issues to internal and external stakeholders effectively.
- Support Grants Manager in effectively representing Victim Identification work in the grant writing proposal and reporting process
- Draw insights from qualitative and quantitative analysis, synthesize summaries, and make recommendations.
- Identify root cause and troubleshoot people, process, and technology issues that constrain teams from making progress
- Work closely with Product Managers, Product Marketing and Training to understand victim identification needs across our user base and portfolio. Provide input and perform activities for our to go to market strategies. Collaborate with our partners in other internal verticals to support their work in Europe.
- Solutions oriented in managing impact opportunities and programmatic cost trade offs to deliver maximum return on donor investment
- Continuously improve on Thorn’s impact measurement strategy, striving for measurements of impact over activity.
- Proactively identifies, mitigates and communicates on risk to remove blockers and protect Thorn’s reputation.
- Demonstrate proficiency in change management to ensure large organization transformation, ensuring continuing alignment and coordination of overall program
What We’re Looking For:
- You have a commitment to putting the children we serve at the center of everything you do.
- Passion, humility, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
- Ability and drive to influence decision makers internally and externally, at all levels of the organization, using data, insights, and compelling narratives
- 5+ years experience managing large scale complex transformation initiatives that drive change, especially leveraging strategic partners effectively alongside technology.
- Effective, persuasive and passionate communicator regardless of medium – oral, written interpersonal, and public speaking.
- Experience working in the child protection space preferred
- Experience working with government agencies and NGOs preferred
- Able to move distinctly between the big picture, and the nitty gritty, without sacrificing one for the other.
- Experiences with project management planning and delivery.
- Strong analytical skills to identify requirements and potential solutions with business sponsors, stakeholders, and project team members
- Able to work cross-functionally with various teams remotely
- Strong attention to detail and energized by a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Self-reflective with a desire to improve your approach and processes
- Comfortable with ambiguity
- Experience in effectively using project management tools (Asana and/or MS Project) & GSuite (email, slides, docs, and sheets)
- Fluent in English
- Proficiency communicating verbally and in writing in one of the following languages preferred (French, Spanish, Dutch, German or Arabic)
At Thorn, we understand the value of developing a team with different perspectives, educational backgrounds, and life experiences. We prioritize diversity within our team and encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. Your skills are needed here.