Engineering Manager, Site Reliability at Zapier
Engineering Manager, Site Reliability
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager, SRE to lead our growing engineering team at Zapier. You will lead a growing SRE team, and improve service reliability by using a software engineering approach to operations. Using site reliability principles and a robust approach to observability, you will not only fix problems but solve the issues that contributed to them when things go wrong.
This position works closely with other teams within our System’s Zone and other engineering peers to develop and maintain the tools and systems that support all of Zapier engineering. You’ll get to interact with every engineering team in the organization. Maintaining excellent relationships and communicating effectively with those teams regularly is key to success.
Interested in helping build the systems and platforms that powers engineering and automation for millions of professionals? Then read on
Zapier is rapidly scaling and growing, and you will work directly on the applications that support over 5 million customers. When bad things happen, you will support your team to solve contributing causes, to learn from failures, and to build a robust and resilient system for our customers.
We know applying for and taking on a new job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier. We hope you’ll take the leap of faith and apply.
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Even though our job description may seem like we’re looking for a specific candidate, the role inevitably ends up tailored to the person who applies and joins. Regardless of how well you feel you fit our description, we encourage you to apply if:
You’re motivated by building effective engineering teams and are happy to roll up your sleeves and dive into code when needed.
You are an effective team builder. This isn’t your first rodeo. You know how to hire, train, and develop Site Reliability Engineers from all backgrounds. You understand the benefits of building a diverse and inclusive SRE team. You may not have hired or managed hundreds of people before, but you have hired, trained, and managed at least a few engineers before who work on business critical systems.
You have a background in Site Reliability Engineering. You’re comfortable talking about SLOs, incident management and building a culture of reliability. You have empathy for our customers and our engineers who use our systems, and are eager to improve it for them. You seek to reduce toil, and understand what it means to take a software engineering approach to operations.
You’re calm under pressure. Sometimes things go wrong. When things go wrong, you’ll call upon your background to bring issues to a resolution and provide stability in times of crisis.
You can keep track of, prioritize, and lead multiple projects. We’re a small team, and there’s no shortage of things you could be doing in a day. You’ll carve out time for functional projects and make sure they solve real problems the team and organization faces — making development even easier, building a culture of reliability, and delivering outstanding service to our customers.
You have excellent communication skills. You regularly work with engineers and other stakeholders from various disciplines, balancing engineering concerns, such as technical debt, with product concerns. Ideally, you find solutions that address both the team and user needs but if not, help build understanding around difficult decisions. As a leader in Site Reliability, you understand how impactful the work you and your team will do, and how it affects the entire organization.
You are a skilled engineer. You’ve got a strong background working in our stack (Kubernetes, Python, AWS) — even if you aren’t a daily coder, you regularly exercise your coding muscles and try to be an asset on any technical context your team may need.
You’re adaptable. You’ve been in fast growing companies and know how to build, change, and adapt to the needs of a company as it grows.
Things You Might Do
Zapier is a small, fast-growing, and remote-first company, so you’ll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. That said, here are some things you’ll probably do:
- Work closely with engineering and product peers to build reliable and performant solutions.
- Create SLOs and dashboards to communicate service health.
- Drive process for incident management and on-call response.
- Have an enormous impact working closely with teams across the organization. Be an advocate for site reliability principles.
- Work within an Agile framework to deliver products and services to support Zapier engineering.
- Develop effective ways to communicate, monitor, and lead your team through weekly one-on-one’s and team meetings.
- Keep the leadership team informed on your team’s progress in ways that are easy and enjoyable to receive, like one-on-one’s, update posts, and regular team hangouts.
- Build rapport with each member of the Engineering Team and support them through coaching and mentorship to help level up their skills.
- Participate in code reviews, learning and spreading technical knowledge throughout Zapier — moving knowledge to documentation where appropriate.
- Occasionally dive into the code; fixing bugs, improving developer experience, smoothing edges — sometimes even spiking out small proofs of concept.
- Collaborate across various disciplines (Product Managers, Designers, Researchers) to help set technical roadmaps that will achieve business goals through engineering best practices.
- Actively recruit, onboard, and train new engineers at Zapier. This might involve tweaking the skills portions of interviews, or writing better documentation.
- As part of our All Hands Support initiative, help customers have the best experience with Zapier as possible.
- For the past six years, Zapier has been helping people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
- We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
- We believe that with the right tools, you can have big impact with less hassle.
- We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
- We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
The Whole Package
Location: Planet Earth.
If you want to work remote, that’s great. If you want to work near others, that’s cool too. Our team of 100+ is distributed because it lets us work with the best people. You don’t have to be located in the USA either. Some team members live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere.
- Competitive salary (we don’t use remote as an excuse to pay less)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- Profit sharing
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We’ll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn’t a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you’ll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to US, UK, and Canada-based employees.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We’re excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!