Engineering Manager, Server
TECHNOLOGY – ENGINEERING
Healthline.com is the fastest growing health information brand, the 2nd largest health site in the US (per comScore) and reaches over 125 million people a month globally. The business is high growth and solidly profitable, employing ~300 people in San Francisco, New York and the UK. We are a purpose-driven organization with a vision to create a stronger, healthier world.
Healthline is a certified Great Place to Work and has been named to the Top 5 in Ad Age’s Best Places to Work in 2019. Check out these links to learn more about what it’s like to work at Healthline Media.
GPTW review / Top 5 in Ad Age’s Best Places to Work / LinkedIn
ABOUT THE TEAM:
The Frontend Engineering team works very closely with product and design to run Healthline’s flagship website, healthline.com. We strive to be a fast-moving team that supports each other along the way, which requires each of us to be committed to the team and aligned with our goals and values. You will work with a multi-disciplined team while playing a critical part in the decision-making processes as it relates to product, features and architecture. You are detail-oriented and self-motivated, with demonstrated success and passion around full stack development.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
As Frontend Engineering Manager you will lead a team of engineers focused on delivering a world-class frontend experience for the site. Along with your own hands-on work developing and maintaining the site, you will develop and manage your team as they continue to grow in their own career paths.
- BA/BS or equivalent experience
- 5+ years direct working experience in server-focused engineering field
WHAT YOU’LL DO AND HOW YOU’LL MAKE AN IMPACT:
- Lead conversations regarding product and feature design, as they pertain to serving content and data management flows.
- Lead/mentor a small team of engineers implementing our services and test automation tiers.
- Build and own scalable server architecture handling 10M+ pageviews / day
- Work with front-end developers to produce the best user experience and time to market while keeping a focus on overall site performance.
- Collaborate closely with Product Management, Design, and QA to execute and iterate on product ideas.
- Assist with production support and addressing technical issues raised from PM and other parts of the business.
WE ARE EXCITED ABOUT YOU BECAUSE:
- You can build impactful software and demonstrate value quickly
- You have a great balance between pragmatism and the desire to make things “perfect”
- You work well with a small, diverse team
- You have scaled Node services for high volume projects and are looking to learn management OR you have experience managing small teams and you want to sharpen your Node toolset.
- You are passionate about delivering an awesome user experience!
REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD APPLY:
- You want to be a part of creating a culture within a small team.
- You strive for simplicity even for complex problems
THIS JOB MAY NOT BE FOR YOU IF:
- You have an allergy to gifs in Slack.
- Working with a team of both remote reports and stakeholders is not your cup of tea.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE WORKING AT HEALTHLINE:
- You’ll hear us talk a lot about culture and the LEADER mindset at Healthline – because we know our people, and how we work together, drive our success and differentiate the impact we have on the world
- Our CULTURE embraces: High Expectations, Feedback, Improvement, Recovery and Celebration
- Our MINDSET brings to work: Learning, Excellence, Accountability, Discipline, Effort and Respect
- These BEHAVIORS reflect the values that are important to us: Empathy, Collaboration, Ingenuity, Integrity, Joyful/Healthful Living
- We’re a purpose-driven organization with a vision to create a stronger, healthier world
- We work together to achieve our mission with humility and genuine respect for each member of our team.
- We’re smart, innovative, and inspiring change makers
- Transparency and honesty earn us the trust of each other and our users
- We empathize with our users and are committed to being their true ally in their lifelong pursuit of health and well-being
- We have fun, live well, and promote good health. We’re proving that you can work hard and be happy
- We’ve got cozy canine companions in the SF office. Pooches make Healthline HQ fun!
- Our smart, experienced leadership team wants to do it right and is open to new ideas
- We offer competitive compensation packages, one day/week remote option and comprehensive health benefits