Engineering Manager at OpenGov
- UNITED STATES (REMOTE)
Imagine yourself here!
OpenGov is a mission driven fast-growth, Series D, venture backed startup (includes Andreessen Horowitz, Formation 8, and Emerson Collective). Our Board of Directors includes iconic Silicon Valley executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO) and Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world).
OpenGov is the leader in modern cloud ERP software for our nation’s cities, counties, and state agencies. We have surpassed 1,000+ governments (and growing fast!) using our products in our mission to power more effective and accountable government.
OpenGov is a 2021 Top Workplaces USA award winner!
About the Engineering Manager Role:
OpenGov is seeking a mission-driven and customer-focused technical leader to help lead our Data Platform team. The team is responsible for the design, development and maintenance of a modern data platform for collecting, managing, and exposing data to any application at OpenGov. Our mission is to provide the building blocks to power the best in class cloud ERP solution for many local, county, and city governments.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager with a strong technical background to rapidly hire and lead a highly-skilled team of cloud-native software engineers that are working remotely. You will work with the product, design, and architecture teams in the US, Ukraine, and India to design and deliver new features in an agile environment. Favoring shipping to production frequently, you will drive and motivate the team by encouraging innovation and creativity while ensuring that the high-quality standards that we hold ourselves to are met.
Our ideal candidate has led technology transformations of large-scale systems, preferably in the ERP space (public or private sector), and has battle-scars from managing, delivering, and testing asynchronous software, microservices & data in a multi-tenant SaaS environment.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Management of the design and development of highly performant SaaS solutions
- Partner closely with product stakeholders to influence team priorities and roadmap
- Establish, contribute to and evolve best engineering practices for your team
- Enable your team to break down sophisticated projects into smaller pieces and iterate on their design and implementation
- Coach engineers on your team and provide growth opportunities for individuals by tailoring work to skill level and interests
- Setting and maintaining Service Level Agreements and Reliability metrics for the systems the team owns.
What we look for in you:
- 3+ years of hands-on technical leadership and people management experience
- A proven track-record of leading, motivating and building strong software teams
- Experience working on engineering teams that service other engineering teams
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with multi-functional teams about various topics such as product requirements, user experience, system architecture, APIs and project schedules
- Proven ability to coach your team through in managing ambiguity, holding themselves accountable and enabling them to ship complex and multi-quarter projects successfully
- Strong architecture and system design sense, experience with APIs product development
- Experience managing large scale distributed systems, working with microservices and/or distributed architecture
- Hands-on development experience with a modern OO language, design patterns, and frameworks
- Experience with modern cloud computing (AWS preferred) Familiarity with working in rapid growth environments
What makes OpenGov unique
- Leadership: CEO Zac Bookman (MPA from Harvard and JD from Yale) is truly a mission-driven CEO. He was named one of the 100 most Intriguing Entrepreneurs by Goldman Sachs and SF Business Times’ 40 under 40 class of 2018!
- Funding: $140 million, Series D company, from top tier investors including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, and Emerson Collective. Click here to read more about our latest round of funding!
- Board of Directors: Includes iconic executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO), Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world), Katherine August-deWilde (Vice Chair of First Republic Bank), and Amy Pressman (co-founder, former president, and a current board member of Medallia).
- Growth: Double growth with 1,000+ governments (and counting) using our products!
- Culture: Winner of 2021 Top Workplaces USA award and 50 Best Workplaces award. Check out our Careers Video!
- Perks: 90% paid Medical/Dental/Vision premium for employees, fully paid Life and Short/Long term disability insurance, Unlimited PTO, Parental Leave policy, monthly fitness stipend, anniversary awards, and more!
- Product: Named a Tech Pioneer by the World Economic Forum, we are the leader in cloud ERP software for our nation’s cities, counties, and state agencies.
- Mission Driven: We are a technology company helping out our communities, cities, and states. We’re powering more effective and accountable government.
Come join us and make a positive social impact!
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!