EDITOR – POPCULTURE.COM
- Ref#: 32825
- CBS Business Unit: CBS Interactive
- Job Type: Full-Time Staff
- Job Location: Remote
CBS Interactive is the premier online content network for information and online operations of CBS Corporation as well as some of the top native digital brands in the entertainment industry. Our brands dive deep into the things people care about across entertainment, technology, news, games, business and sports. With over 1 billion users visiting our properties every quarter, we are a global top 10 web property and one of the largest premium content networks online.
PopCulture.com is looking for a new editorial team member on our nights and weekends shift who is passionate about pop culture, reality television, movies and music. An ideal candidate is a self-starter who works well in a team environment and has strong communication skills. In this role, you play a key part in our news desk, with general coverage assignments assigning, editing, and publishing content across multiple platforms. Editors are expected to balance writing, line editing, and assigning content to writers during their shifts. This role is a nights and weekends position, so availability during those time periods is crucial.
- Edit and write trending and entertainment news in the pop culture sphere.
- Assign content to writers based on data-driven decisions about what to prioritize.
- Publish content on social media with headlines and content tailored to the platform audience.
- Stay up to date on SEO, social media, journalism and creative best practices.
- Cover award shows, music and movie premiers and other key events throughout the year to gather interviews and provide unique content.
- Work closely with editorial, video, and creative teams to maintain brand voice and uphold style guide standards.
- Expand news desk audience and build engagement.
- Build relationships and develop sources in the entertainment space to provide premium information and break news.
- Provide original content to help grow audience and community.
- Work with managing editor to provide comprehensive coverage of live, national events.
What you bring to the team:
You have –
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, or other, related field
- At least 2 years professional editorial experience
- Excellent communication and written skills
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to collaborate well with other reporters
- Self-motivation as well as ability to work within a team dynamic
- Proven judgement in journalistic decision making and content management
- Deep understanding of pop culture and ability to match that expertise to audience appetite
- Demonstrated ease in multi-tasking and tackling change
You might also have –
Our culture is rooted in a transparent, fast-paced, and competitive environment that fosters growth by embracing consistently increasing goals not only of the individual but the collective company as well. We are a professional workplace that will always embrace a start-up mentality.
A successful member of this team will be able to work with others collaboratively but also be self-motivated to drive the business forward. Complacent attitudes and those interested in meeting not exceeding goals will have a hard time adapting to a workplace that expects best efforts, uses course correction, and hands-on coaching. A mentality of clearing the bar is the heartbeat of operations and those who run through the finish line will ultimately grow in responsibility and rewards.