Distributed Systems Architect – Core Platform
Location: Remote – USA
MultiThreaded Engineering, UX and Design at Stitch Fix
At Stitch Fix, our goal is to help our customers look great and feel great about themselves by revolutionizing how people shop. In a time-starved world where shopping often feels overwhelming, our business connects customers to clothes they love. Whether it’s helping someone dress for success at a new job or taking the stress out of packing for a family vacation, we fix clients’ closets and they love us for it!
We’ve built unique, innovative software for merchandising, warehouse and inventory management, remote styling, and logistics. We leverage vast amounts of client data to make decisions throughout the company. All of this results in a simple, powerful offering to our clients and a very successful business. We believe we are only scratching the surface of our opportunity, and we’re looking for incredible people to contribute!
Our team is made up of people from varied backgrounds, including engineers who built and scaled organizations like Google, Netflix, eBay, GitHub, and LivingSocial. We build modern software with modern techniques like TDD, continuous delivery, DevOps, and microservices. Cross-functional partnerships are deeply meaningful to us and are how we’ve built up immense trust with the people running the business. We focus on high-value products that solve clearly identified problems but are designed in a sustainable way so that value continues to deliver in the long term. In fact, some of our proudest moments come from solving business problems without writing a line of code.
About the Role
You will identify, prioritize, and deliver high value technical investments that enable the ~40 engineers on our Core Platform teams to build the next generation of Platforms our business is built off of. We trust you to focus your time and efforts where they are needed most. Your commitment to applying technology to business challenges in clean & innovative ways will make you a trusted advisor to your partners and their teams. You will own projects and influence our direction.
You’ll help evolve our approach to technical and operational excellence. This will include things like architecture reviews, systems design, incident management, and observability. You will also define processes, frameworks and strategies for building systems to help our mid-career engineers develop into senior engineers.
You won’t do these things alone. You’ll work with engineers across our entire team as well as product, security, and business partners. The position reports to our Head of Engineering for Core Platforms
About the Technology
Technologies we rely on today to create great experiences for our clients include:
- Ruby and Rails
- Distributed Tracing
- Structured Logging
Even if you already have experience with these tools, you’ll have the chance to get even better with them. And if you don’t already use these tools, we will help you learn and become effective with them.
You’re excited about this opportunity because…
- We work collaboratively as a distributed team we are a significantly remote team and we use GitHub, Slack, and video conferencing extensively to collaborate.
- You will have the opportunity to participate in creating prototypes and exploring alternative designs we value pull requests, one-pagers, and screencasts to develop rapid prototypes that demonstrate new features.
- We have a distributed, modern micro service architecture we’re decoupled and deploy dozens of times a day, have dozens of concurrent A/B tests in flight, and practice Chaos Engineering.
- We use these tools and techniques help us get the job done and we’re excited to share our expertise with new members of the team. You will have the opportunity to help us continue to adopt effective practices and technologies and explore their full potential.
We are excited about you because…
- You are enthusiastic about technology. You will collaborate to build solutions using the appropriate tools and contribute to design and architecture across multiple systems. You want to build on your experience and help us to adopt new technologies. You’ll learn from us, and we’ll learn from you. You care deeply about the experience you are delivering.
- You have a platform-focused mindset. Our team works together to deliver platforms that enable high leverage, innovation velocity and scale for our business.
- You can articulate a vision for the future and don’t let the perfect solution get in the way of a better solution.
- You love helping engineers grow. You constantly learn from and teach the people you work with. You’ve demonstrated your ability to help engineers grow into senior technical leaders.
- You have deep respect for your craft. We are dedicated to building software sustainably, using modern techniques. You’re always looking for more and better ways to write software, and enthusiastic about sharing them with your team.
- You are respectful, empathetic, and humble. We want you to take your work seriously and be open to personal and professional growth. Successful engineers show everyone respect and consideration.
You’ll love working at Stitch Fix because we…
- Are a successful, vibrant, fast-growing company
- Are a technologically and data-driven business.
- Are at the forefront of tech and fashion, redefining shopping for the next generation.
- Are passionate about our clients and live/breathe the client experience.
- Get to be creative every day.
- Have a smart, experienced, and diverse leadership team that wants to do it right & is open to new ideas.
- Believe in autonomy & taking initiative.
- Have sunny offices in downtown San Francisco, CA, Austin, TX and Pittsburgh, PA, or your home 🙂
- Full support for remote work and you get to visit our SF office every few months to connect with your peers and partners.
- Offer transparent, equitable, and competitive compensation based on your level to help eliminate bias in salaries, as well as equity and comprehensive health benefits.
- Are serious about our commitment to life-work balance, and have generous parental leave policies.
About Stitch Fix
At Stitch Fix, we’re about personal styling for everybody and we believe in both a service and a workplace where you can be your best, most authentic self. We’re the first fashion retailer to combine technology and data science with the human instinct of a Stylist to deliver a deeply personalized shopping experience. This novel juxtaposition attracts a highly diverse group of talented people who are both thinkers and doers. All of this results in a simple, powerful offering to our customers and a successful, growing business serving millions of men, women, and kids. We believe we are only scratching the surface on our opportunity, and we’re looking for incredible people like you to help us carry on that trend.