Director of Legal and Compliance at Teach For All
Director of Legal and Compliance (Part-time)
Teach For All is a global non-profit organization with over 140 team members located in our offices or remotely in over 20 countries around the world.
- This position can be based in the United States.
- This is a part-time position (20-25 hours per week)
The Director of Legal and Compliance provides technical legal advice on a range of issues and activities; supports the development and implementation of policies and procedures to safeguard the global organization and broader network; and serves as a resource to internal teams and partners on legal matters. This individual will apply exceptional judgment, strategic thinking, and detail orientation to support Teach For All on legal, compliance and risk matters. He/she balances risk considerations with our broader mission and purpose; is both a strategic thought partner and direct executor; and can provide clear, actionable advice on complex matters.
The Director of Legal and Compliance will report into the Chief of Staff to the CEO and works very directly with the team leads across the organization, particularly our Head of Finance and Head of People Operations.
- Guide organization on legal matters relating to general business operations
- Ensure that Teach For All’s general and professional liability insurance coverages are up to date, comprehensive and adequate based on current and evolving needs
- Support the Finance team in reviewing complex donor commitments, vendor contracts, and ensuring compliant financial & banking processes particularly around international grant-making.
- Support the People Operations (Human Resources) team in the drafting and reviewing general employment-related agreements and documents for compliance reasons (i.e. non-exempt contracts, separation agreements, secondments or pro-bono agreements)
- Provide legal advice on ad hoc questions that arise from Teach For All staff members
Policy Development and Compliance
- Specify and regularly audit and monitor compliance as it relates to internal business operations
- Ensure legal and ethical compliance with local, state, federal, and international laws across jurisdictions in which Teach For All’s global organization operates
- Manage policies and procedures to support the global organization’s compliance with international policies, guidelines, and sanctions laws – including General Data Protection Regulation, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, and The Office of Foreign Assets Control’s sanctions program
- Support the Chief of Staff to annually review and ensure compliance with the global organization’s key policies and guidelines – including those related to Child Safeguarding, Crisis Management, Whistleblower, Harassment, and our Network Code of Conduct
- Refine and implement our intellectual property and copywriting policies
- Oversee Teach For All’s corporate structure and entity management – including potential new entity set-up and/or operationalization
- Support on ad hoc projects as requested by the Chief of Staff and CEO
Requirements / Technical Expertise:
- Undergraduate degree and a law degree/JD from an accredited law school
- Member in good standing of the State Bar of at least one U.S state or District of Columbia
- 7+ years of combined experience working at law firms or in-house legal counsel for small to medium-sized multinational organizations
- Robust experience and familiarity with US registered 501c3 organization or non-profits with registered entities in the US and UK (or EU) that also operate internationally
- Excellent judgment and ability to make risk determinations
- Strong ability to communicate and collaborate clearly and effectively with others across the network
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage deadlines in a fast-paced and flexible work environment – being both strategic and a highly capable individual contributor and executor of the work
- Sound and practical business judgment
- A deep belief in Teach For All’s core purpose and approach
Salary for this position is competitive and dependent on prior work experience and includes a comprehensive benefits package.
Candidates for this position must possess US work authorization in order to be considered.
About Teach For All
Teach For All is a global network of over 50 independent, locally led and governed partner organizations and a global organization that works to accelerate the progress of the network. Each network partner recruits and develops promising future leaders to teach in their nations’ under-resourced schools and communities and, with this foundation, to work with others, inside and outside of education, to ensure all children are able to fulfill their potential. Teach For All’s global organization works to increase the network’s impact by capturing and spreading learning, facilitating connections among partners, accessing global resources, and fostering the leadership development of partner staff, teachers, and alumni.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusiveness
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization that inspires individuals of all backgrounds – across nationalities, races, ethnicity, religions, political views, economic backgrounds, sexual orientations, physical disabilities, languages, ages, genders and prior experiences – to bring their full selves to the work of ensuring educational opportunity for all.
In order to maximize our effectiveness in fulfilling Teach For All’s mission, we also feel it is important to focus on increasing representation and inclusiveness with respect to two dimensions in particular: we prioritize diversity of geography because this can help us quickly understand and connect with the diverse cultures and geographies of the world. We also prioritize increasing the representation and inclusiveness of team members who themselves have experienced the inequities we’re working to address by nature of sharing the background (e.g. economic, racial and ethnic, religious) of the most disadvantaged groups in their countries.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!