Director of Communications at Moms First - MomsFirst.us
Director of Communications
NEW YORK CITY OR REMOTE
Moms First, formerly Marshall Plan for Moms, is a national, non-profit organization transforming our workplaces, our government, and our culture so moms can thrive. Through our programming, thought leadership and grassroots movement of a million moms and supporters, we are fighting for the structural changes America’s mothers need and deserve including affordable child care, gender neutral paid leave, and equal pay for moms. The organization is housed within the non-profit Girls Who Code and founded by Reshma Saujani, a long-time advocate for women’s economic empowerment.
The Director of Communications will architect and drive all aspects of the organization’s communications strategy to raise awareness of Moms First and its mission and advance our priorities through strategic communications that reach and motivate key stakeholder groups such as community members, corporate partners, funders, government leaders and media. Reporting to the CEO, the Director is a messaging and public relations expert eager to develop persuasive messaging that elevates Moms First, its leaders, and various initiatives in the media; create edgy, conversation-setting thought leadership such as drafting op-eds and securing marquee speaking opportunities; and creatively amplify the voices of moms, business leaders, celebrities and other relevant messengers.
A successful candidate will have more than 8 years of demonstrated communications, public relations and media engagement experience, preferably in a leadership role. You are an exceptional writer and have a proven track record of designing and executing communications programs that accelerate an organization’s high level objectives. You have deep experience working with visionary leaders, providing them with the preparation and support required to maximize the impact of press interviews, panels, speeches, and more. You are energized by the opportunity to be part of a fast-paced team that is setting the national agenda on women’s economic empowerment and to work alongside a highly sought-after principal with a significant public profile. You are passionate about the power of storytelling, sophisticated about the media zeitgeist, and committed to the mission of finishing the fight for women’s equality. The Moms First team is remote, with a hybrid work option for New York City based team members.
- Develop and own execution of Mom First communications strategy, including tracking key performance indicators
- Drive all press, public relations and media relations to secure high-impact press for the organization and its CEO
- Empower CEO and other organizational spokespeople to ace all external engagements, including media interviews and speaking opportunities with thorough, up-to-date briefing documents
- Own development of core messaging and routinely draft a broad range of materials and content including press releases, talking points, speeches, op-eds, testimonies, and reports, conducting research where necessary
- Create compelling narratives to center moms, what they need, and the value of investing in them in the national conversation
- Lead communications for our National Business Coalition for Child Care (NBCC), including engaging members to speak on our behalf and pitching and preparing them for media
- Own internal brand and style guide and quality control for all externally-facing documents
- Collaborate across digital, social, and all external channels to ensure aligned messaging
- Hire and manage external PR agencies, writers, and other contractors as needed to expand our capability and reach
QUALIFICATIONS: The ideal candidate for this position has:
- 8+ years of communications and/or media relations experience on a political or advocacy campaign, at a public relations agency, a consumer brand, or a mission-driven organization
- Exceptional writing skills honed in a fast-paced, start up environment
- Strong track record of landing stories in the press that meet the moment
- Experience supporting high level executives in managing their various communications needs, from briefings, to talking points, to speeches and beyond
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities and adapt them as priorities shift, and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated experience setting and managing against ambitious communications goals
- Reputation for building alignment and inspiring a culture of collaboration; desire to learn and grow
- Innovative spirit and willingness to try new things, pivot, and learn from mistakes
- Ability to work independently with a high degree of initiative, organization, and attention to detail
- Team player who relishes a good roll up your sleeves moment; brings a flexible, creative, and analytical approach to problem solving
- Passionate about storytelling across channels and savvy about social media
- Committed to the mission of finishing the fight for women’s equality and the values of diversity, equity and inclusion
- This is a full-time, virtual position, but candidates must be willing to travel for quarterly retreats and events, and be based near a major airport with direct flights to NY, DC, and LA.
$103,000 – $131,000 a year