Director, Coaching at Leadership for Educational Equity
- Position Grade: Director 1
- Position Location: Flexible Location
About Leadership for Educational Equity
Leadership for Educational Equity is a nonprofit leadership development organization inspiring and supporting a network of civic leaders to eradicate the injustice of educational inequity.
Through one-on-one coaching, fellowships, workshops, and resources, LEE works to develop and inspire its members individually and collectively, across all disciplines – as policy makers, advocates, elected leaders and community organizers. LEE membership is free and currently open to all Teach For America corps members and alumni. LEE believes that when a diverse group of leaders, grounded in a commitment to equity, are in leadership roles, they will serve as a transformative force for and with students and communities.
LEE is a diverse team of passionate and talented individuals committed to making a difference. We are a high-growth, results-oriented organization that operates in an entrepreneurial environment deeply invested in continuous improvement. LEE is honored to have been selected as a LATINA Style 50 Award recipient and a “When Work Works” award recipient. We are also an Employer of National Service.
Our team of Director, Coaching staff are part of a national team working to support LEE members’ career growth, effectiveness, and impact on equity within policy, advocacy, and organizing roles at all levels, from entry to senior, with a particular focus on supporting members whose identities have not been traditionally represented in positions of power. Coaching supports offered to members include:
- Exploring short- and long-term plans and motivations
- Developing goals for impact and making a plan to stay accountable
- Getting feedback on resume and cover letters
- Hearing about job postings at organizations and government agencies sourcing LEE members
- Getting connected with LEE members working in roles and at organizations of interest
- Preparing for interviews and making decisions
- Map out next steps in your job search
Coaches will primarily focus on supporting members seeking new roles in these sectors, with some coaches also specializing in “make more effective” coaching, group coaching, and executive coaching. This part-time role will involve leveraging LEE’s online resources to coach a portfolio of members, meeting with them via phone and email, and tracking data to report on the portfolio’s progress and transition into new roles.
As a team member in a growing and dynamic organization, the Director, Coaching will adapt to evolving understandings of the most effective path to impact and new resource offerings. Central to our coaching model is a belief that the most effective leaders actively reflect on how their identity, values, and experiences shape their vision for ending the injustice of educational inequity, so it is often effective to coach from a place of shared understanding and identity. The Director, Coaching will report to the Director, Policy & Advocacy Program Support & Innovations.
We are hiring staff for two types of positions 0.20 FTE (approximately 5-10 hours per week) and 0.50 FTE (approximately 20 hours per week). You will be asked in the application to indicate your preference.
- Position Location: Flexible
- Travel Requirements: 0%
Policy & Advocacy Career Coaching (85%)
- Provide 5-10 hours (0.20 FTE) or 20 hours (0.50 FTE) per week of leadership and career coaching to LEE members in the career pipeline (weekly hours commitment dependent upon coachee needs and coach level of experience; could include executive coaching if appropriate)
- Manage data entry, and reporting, including providing a weekly update to manager on coach pipeline, success, resource needs and composition of coaching portfolio and maintaining up to date data tracking including updating coaching data on a weekly basis
- Participate in the Policy & Advocacy team’s ongoing effort to match members to leadership opportunities, connecting coaching portfolio to leadership opportunities shared with the team
Team Meetings & Advisement (10%)
- Participate in select team meeting(s) with the Policy & Advocacy team and other internal LEE stakeholders regarding coaching strategy and occasional scheduled meetings as needed
- Provide advice and counsel to the Policy & Advocacy team
Special Projects (5%)
- Other work as assigned by the Director, PA Program Support & Innovations
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate years of work experience
- 5 years relevant professional work experience, including 2 years experience and confidence in engaging with high-impact policy, advocacy and/or elected leaders
- Commitment to coaching leaders and playing a role in their long-term leadership development
- Proven ability to work across lines of difference with diverse audiences and partners
- Strong, demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity & inclusion
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Strong attention to detail, responsiveness, and data tracking
- Flexible and committed to continuous learning
- Master’s degree preferred
- At least 3 years of previous experience in education policy and/or advocacy
- Prior experience with career coaching
- Ability to communicate and collaborate within a geographically dispersed team
- Deep passion for educational equity and belief in LEE’s mission and theory of change
Benefits and Pay
Pay for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. In addition, LEE offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, dental and vision coverage for spouses, families and domestic partners; employer-paid basic life and AD&D insurance and short and long-term disability insurance; a retirement package with employer match; family and parental leave benefits; generous paid time off and an organization-wide winter break between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!