Digital Campaign Manager at Land Trust Alliance
LOCATION District of Columbia or Remote
JOB CATEGORY Communications and marketing
JOB TYPE Full-Time
Location: Washington, D.C. area preferred, but remote candidates will be considered
The Land Trust Alliance is the voice of the land trust community. As the national leader in policy, standards and education, we work passionately to support land trusts across America so they can save more land and better serve their communities.
Our natural places and working lands are a lifeline to clean air, water, food and good health. These lands also bring us together, inspire us and provide opportunities to recreate and recharge. The land trust community is a crucial component in this equation. With important places under continual threat, land trusts need access to the best tools, information and policy advocates. Armed with a diverse network and valuable resources, the Alliance is the land trust community’s source for the knowledge and capabilities they need to reach their goals. From tax and funding policies on Capitol Hill to innovative ideas, partnerships and initiatives, we ensure our land trust members can always be heard and achieve more.
After many years of research and development, the Alliance is preparing to launch a national digital marketing campaign designed to elevate land conservation as a priority nationwide. We envision a reenergized, more relevant conservation movement in which land trusts join with partners that have not traditionally identified as conservation organizations, including from the for-profit sector, around our shared interest of protecting special places.
The Digital Campaign Manager is a member of the Alliance’s communications team, reports directly to the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer and is responsible for managing day-to-day operations, execution and performance measurement for the organization’s marketing campaign. Informed by market research, the Manager will ensure that the campaign tactics and execution are optimized for reaching and engaging target audiences, including individuals who care about conservation but have not yet engaged with land trusts and current and prospective corporate sponsors.
The Digital Campaign Manager will partner with both internal and external parties to meet campaign delivery objectives. Working closely with the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer and communications and development team colleagues, the Digital Marketing Manager will ensure that campaign content is developed and appropriately promoted across Alliance channels, including the organization’s website, social media and email, and in paid advertising, as well as through outreach to reporters for earned media.
The Digital Campaign Manager will be the point of contact for marketing consultants supporting the campaign and will coordinate the efforts of external vendors with Alliance staff and partners. This includes reviewing, helping develop, review and report on paid media strategies. The Manager will also act as liaison with the land trusts partnering with the Alliance on the launch of the campaign, ensuring they have all the information and resources they need to participate and are providing feedback on campaign tactics and performance in their markets.
The Digital Campaign Manager will oversee the overall campaign budget, spending and timeline and will compile regular reports of campaign performance and results, formatted as appropriate for different audiences, including Alliance staff and board members and Alliance land trust members. Working with colleagues, the Manager will use data and campaign feedback to inform, adjust and improve tactics – especially paid media – creative and messages.
- In coordination with campaign consultants, project manage the execution, monitoring and measurement of all aspects of the Alliance’s digital marketing campaign.
- Work with both internal teams and external parties to ensure campaign delivery objectives are met.
- Track campaign spending to maximize efficiency and stay within the established budget.
- Working with marketing consultants, ensure all digital advertising campaigns are designed to maximize performance against established key performance indicators and are appropriately implemented, tracked and adjusted as needed.
- Create a communications plan to ensure key stakeholders, including Alliance staff and board members, campaign partners and sponsors and Alliance land trust members are appropriately informed of campaign development, implementation and results.
- Manage external vendors for the campaign, including establishing an appropriate cadence for meetings, setting agendas and monitoring spending and deliverables.
- Act as point of contact for Alliance member land trusts that wish to participate in the campaign, including the pilot land trusts who are actively partnering with the Alliance on the campaign launch.
- Assist as needed the Development Marketing Manager and Development department staff in cultivating, soliciting and stewarding corporate sponsors for the campaign.
- Work with the development individual giving team to develop opportunities to engage, steward and cultivate campaign audiences for future giving opportunities.
- Work with vendors and the Alliance’s Senior Digital Communications Manager to design and implement an email strategy for the Alliance and participating land trusts to engage and steward campaign audiences.
- Work with vendors and Alliance’s Social Media Manager to create an organic and paid social media strategy for the campaign.
- Work with development, communications and information technology staff to implement a customer relationship management system and marketing automation tools to maximize engagement, stewardship and solicitation opportunities for campaign constituents.
- Work with development and information technology staff to create and implement customer journeys for campaign audiences within the Alliance’s customer relationship management system.
- Troubleshoot campaign issues as they arrive.
- Continuously assess and report on campaign performance and implement improvements where necessary.
- Compile regular reports of campaign performance and results for internal and external stakeholders.
- Inform campaign performance using data and observations from external campaigns.
- Ensure campaign implementation follows organizational brand identity, policies and priorities.
- Plan and coordinate any events associated with the campaign, which may involve coordination with a local land trust as well as one or more corporate sponsors.
- Research, write and review content for all channels, including email marketing, social media, blogs and website, as needed in support of or partnership with communications colleagues.
- In partnership with the Alliance’s Media Relations Manager, set the campaign annual earned media strategy.
- Work with the Alliance’s government relations team to explore opportunities to engage campaign audiences through grassroots advocacy outreach.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing related field desirable.
- Seven+ years’ experience implementing digital marketing campaigns and measuring results.
- Marketing agency experience desirable.
- Experience designing and implementing digital marketing campaigns, including organic and paid media.
- Strong knowledge of marketing and communications trends and best practices, including knowledge of ad serving systems and a passion for new and emerging technologies.
- Exceptional inter-personal skills, especially in developing and managing relationships and handling difficult situations.
- Excellent writing and editing skills are required, including the ability to write compelling copy that summarizes complex issues.
- The ability to leverage constructive and effective relationships inside and outside the Alliance.
- Experience with digital grassroots advocacy is desirable.
- Ability to make strategic decisions based on analysis, experience and judgment, which may have program-wide impact, and comfort balancing competing requests from all levels of the organization.
- Comfortable voicing opinions and ideas as part of a collaborative and integrated team.
- An ability to remain cool under pressure and to take on multiple projects and aggressive deadlines with grace.
- Demonstrated initiative, ability to work independently and as part of a team with minimal daily supervision.
- Strong analytical skills to interpret data from reports.
- Attention to detail and highly organized. Strong project management skills and time management abilities are essential.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule.
- Ability to travel up to 15% of the time on an annual basis.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Demonstrated experience in MS Office programs including pivot tables, chart-making and manipulation of large data sets.
- Experience working with customer relationship management databases.
- Knowledge of AP Style is desirable.
- Passion for saving land a must. Knowledge of private land conservation techniques and/or land trusts highly desirable.
The budgeted salary range for this position is $70,000 – $80,000, commensurate with skills, years of experience, location and unique background and qualifications of the candidate.
- The Land Trust Alliance offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, but is not limited to, medical, dental, vision, and other health coverage; life and disability insurance; paid vacation, personal, sick, and holiday leave; and 403(b) retirement benefits.