DevOps Engineer – Databases at Attentive Mobile
Attentive is a mobile messaging platform changing the way consumers interact with businesses and organizations. The company is one of the fastest growing startups and recently raised a $110 million Series C investment led by Sequoia and IVP—two of the world’s leading venture firms—in early 2020, less than 8 months after its Series B round due to strong customer traction. We’ve seen 347% customer growth in just one year, and now work with 1000+ of the most innovative brands like Coach, Urban Outfitters, CB2, PacSun, Lulus, Party City, and Jack in the Box. Attentive was founded in 2016 by the co-founders of TapCommerce, a mobile marketing platform that was acquired by Twitter in 2014.
We’re looking for a self-motivated, highly driven full-time DevOps Engineer to join our team to focus on our databases. As a DevOps Engineer, help champion infrastructure management and release engineering across our platform. This role will work closely with Engineering/DevOps leadership and is an opportunity to help create infrastructure and best practices using cutting edge technologies at a startup that is in its scaling phase.
You @ Attentive:
- Will work on a microservices infrastructure built on Amazon Web Services, primarily built on EC2, ECS, APIGateway, Lambda, Kinesis, RDS – MySQL, Postgres (bonus if you have worked with DynamoDB, MongoDB, Timescale and Snowflake), and ElastiCache.
- Query optimization
- Schema and indexing best practices
- History of monitoring and alerting around proven Database specific metrics
- Knowledge in Schema migrations and best practices around them
- Continue to optimize a migration towards Docker Containers. Elastic Container Service with Fargate is currently used but there is an emphasis on EKS/Kubernetes in Q2.
- Continue to provide best practices towards our implementation of Infrastructure as Code and some configuration management with Ansible. We are heavily using Terraform and provision all new infrastructure through it while backporting legacy.
- Improve an existing CI process, implement Continuous Delivery, and push Release Engineering best practices.
- Help formulate a strong culture using CAMS methodology: (Culture Automation Measurement and Sharing).
- Create processes and tools that will enable the entire engineering team to ship better, faster, and more reliably.
- Work closely with application engineers.
What We’re Looking For:
- You have experience in handling data replication, along with strategies for handling high-availability of services.
- You have been working on Site Reliability / DevOps with a focus on databases for 5+ years, and have a solid understanding of best practices.
- You have worked with a microservices architecture and have well-formed opinions on the pros and cons.
- You understand the importance of CI/CD and have seen the impact a well-structured code pipeline makes to a team.
- You’ve worked with build tools related to CI/CD (Jenkins, CircleCI). Spinnaker is a bonus!
- You are passionate about Observability and the tools required to view and explore the state of a platform.
- You’ve worked with monitoring and logging tools such as (Splunk, Nagios, Sensu, Datadog, New Relic).
- You are familiar with containers, container orchestration, and security best practices.
- You have worked with and understand vanilla Docker. Experience with EKS or Kubernetes is a large bonus.
- You have a passion for collaboration.
- You’ve enjoyed working with Engineers on multiple fronts (Backend, Frontend, Product, Quality Assurance) and are looking to continue this in your next role.
- You enjoy teaching and educating around best practices.
Product Development @ Attentive:
- Our backend is Java and Python microservices coupled with DynamoDB, Kinesis, AirFlow, MySql, Postgres, and Redis. Our frontend is built on current best practices leveraging Babel, Webpack, React, and Redux.
- Our team is 100+ engineers, product managers and designers from top tech companies including Google, Microsoft, Twitter, Moat, Oscar and AppNexus.
- We believe our company will win in the long run through product innovation. To get there, we obsess over iteratively delivering customer value through rapid prototyping and data driven decision making.
Benefits & Perks
- Robust health benefits packages including access to a 401k and various medical, dental and vision plans, and $100/month fitness reimbursement
- Full support for remote work
- Daily lunch delivery credit and other goodies sent to home
- Regular company-wide social events (even virtually!)
- Generous annual education stipend toward job-related external learning opportunities
- An extremely enthusiastic team that appreciates collaboration
Attentive is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We’re committed to diversity and maintaining a work environment that is free from harassment and discrimination. We’re committed to them because our core values demand it – values like Integrity First, Listening & Cultivating Discussion, and Default to Action. We believe in embracing “self” and that our true strength lies in the diversity of our employees. For this reason, applicants from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any protected status under federal, state, or local law.
Location: US Locations Only
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!