DEVELOPMENT WRITER, FOUNDATIONS
San Francisco, California
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
The Foundation Relations team raises approximately one-quarter of Earthjustice’s contributed revenue. Under the supervision of the Director of Foundation Relations, the Development Writer, Foundations is responsible for writing and editing proposals, reports, and other materials for foundation donors and prospects. The person in this position will provide critical writing support to the foundation relations team, while managing a small portfolio of foundation donors.
This position can be either based in San Francisco, CA or a remote location.
Writing, Editing, and Research (60%)
- Provide writing, editing, and proofreading support to foundation officers, the Deputy Director of Foundation Relations, and Director of Foundation Relations.
- Manage a heavy volume of writing and editing assignments on a variety of topics and with tight deadlines.
- Work with foundation officers and program staff to develop and submit the highest quality letters of inquiry, grant proposals, and reports to foundations.
- Monitor and meet grant proposal and reporting deadlines.
- Research new prospects and manage a small portfolio of low- to mid-range grants.
Program Knowledge and Communication (20%)
- Become fluent in the work of Earthjustice regional offices, programs, and campaigns.
- Track the status of legal cases and programs through program staff briefings and program area email lists.
- Track daily environmental news reports and keep updated information on a wide array of environmental issues.
- Develop a working knowledge of Earthjustice’s key past accomplishments and history.
General Responsibilities (20%)
- Serve as a resource for program writing for the Development Department.
- Liaise with the writing staff in the Donor Marketing & Engagement team in order share information and content for writing projects.
- Maintain current and accurate documentation of all written content.
- Attend departmental and organizational retreats for shared planning, team building, and professional development.
- Occasional evening and weekend work may be required.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 3+ years successful experience in grant writing and foundation fundraising preferred.
- Knowledge of foundations that emphasize environmental giving a plus.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to synthesize complex legal and scientific material, translate it into compelling text, and communicate it clearly and succinctly.
- Ability to develop and produce successful proposals, reports, and other materials creatively.
- Ability to interpret a program budget and financial reports.
- Ability to prioritize work and perform effectively under the pressure of multiple deadlines.
- Exceptional ability to work and communicate effectively with a wide range of people across the organization.
- Ability to work constructively as a member of a team.
- Interest and/or background in environmental and public health issues.
- Ability to use spreadsheets and relational database systems.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
- We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.