Title: Development Associate
Location: Los Angeles or Remote (US based)
Thorn builds technology to defend children from sexual abuse, and our products are the backbone of our impact. We join forces across law enforcement, technology partners and nonprofits to help identify victims; stop the spread of child sexual abuse material and to stand up against their offenders. We are currently building a robust development team to support all of the organization’s fundraising activities.
The Development Associate is a critical member of the Thorn development team. You will be responsible for implementing new systems and supporting the development team. If you are passionate about the intersection of technology and social good, thrive in fast-paced and interpersonal environments, and are articulate and persuasive in both written and verbal communication, then this is the job for you.
This opportunity will allow you to gain experience in all aspects of development and take initiative in creating new projects. A candidate who is self-driven and finds success in this role will have the ability to grow and move up quickly.
The Development Associate will report to the Deputy Director of Development and will spend 50% of their time supporting the Director of Development and 50% will support other fundraising activities.
What You’ll Do:
You will be supporting the development team’s overall fundraising goals by helping your team move faster and more effectively where we can gain efficiencies.
- Manage the Director of Development’s calendar – Book calls, in-person meetings, etc.
- Arrange logistics for development-related travel
- Compile fundraising collateral, prospect research, and other items needed in advance of donor visits and external meetings for the Director of Development and Major Gifts Officer
- Manage and organize development files including fundraising materials, communications, and data
- Assist in planning Development Retreat meetings
Donor Engagement and Stewardship
- Respond to donor inquires and our community of supporters via the info@ and giving@ addresses Generate timely thank you letters/acknowledgements of gifts
- Support planning of donor events for the Major Gifts Officer and Director of Development
- Create a fundraising toolkit for those looking to fundraise on behalf of Thorn (Schools, private events, etc.) with the Online Giving Manager.
- Potential speaking opportunities in smaller donor settings
Salesforce and Finance
- Support Development team’s overall use of Salesforce – Seek out new feature integration, understand needs and work with an outside contractor to deliver, etc.
- Responsible for helping development team keep our data clean in Salesforce and data entry
- Reconciling financials across the development team and finance team
Other Support Functions
- Research prospective foundations, corporate partners, and individual donors
- Take notes during development-related meetings and, in partnership with Deputy Director of Development, ensure follow up activities are tracked and moving forward
- Ensure we are current with Guidestar, Charity Navigator, etc.
- Support the preparation, submission, and reporting of grant proposals as needed
- Maintain Thorn’s swag inventory for Defenders Circle and other Thorn donors.
Skills We’re Seeking:
- A minimum of three years of experience in fundraising for a nonprofit organization
- Excellent organizational and critical-thinking skills with good attention to detail, follow-through and the ability to manage multiple projects
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Skilled in Google Docs, Salesforce (or similar donor database), and Slack. (Bonus if have skills in InDesign, Adobe, etc.)
- Familiarity with foundations and grant-making institutions