Healthline.com is the fastest growing health information brand, the 2nd largest health site in the US (per comScore) and reaches over 125 million people a month globally. The business is high growth and solidly profitable, employing ~300 people in San Francisco, New York and the UK. We are a purpose-driven organization with a vision to create a stronger, healthier world.
Healthline is a certified Great Place to Work and has been named to the Top 5 in Ad Age’s Best Places to Work in 2019. Check out these links to learn more about what it’s like to work at Healthline Media.
GPTW review / Top 5 in Ad Age’s Best Places to Work / LinkedIn
ABOUT THE TEAM
As a demand editor, you’ll be part of a record-breaking team! Our team aims to create content that educates, inspires and, most importantly, connects with people who want to improve their health and wellbeing. We work hard to create content that not only connects with our user but is also SEO-optimized. The result is content that consistently breaks traffic records!
ABOUT THE ROLE
You’ll assign, edit, and publish high-quality articles according to SEO best practices and Healthline editorial standards while ensuring timely delivery of content.You’ll work closely with the SEO team, freelance writers, medical reviewers, designers, and copy editors to create and move content through the publishing process. You’ll assess existing writers, increase and improve our writer pool, and help identify and connect with high-quality writers and bloggers. You’ll work with freelance writers by answering queries, providing feedback, verifying invoices, and monitoring deadlines. You’ll also collaborate with marketing, social, and production. You’ll monitor the success of your content by using Google Analytics. You’ll also mentor assistant and associate editors and work closely with the senior editor to monitor the success of the project. You’ll brainstorm content ideas and own various editorial projects.
You are a creative, organized, and collaborative editor who’s passionate about health content and SEO strategy.
Open to remote or San Francisco, CA.
- results driven
- able to manage ambiguity
- a nimble learner
- great at optimizing work processes
- dedicated to self-development
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, preferably in English or Journalism
- 4-5 years of editorial experience
- Superb research, writing, and editing skills with a firm understanding of AP style
- Experience with creating content based on SEO best practices
- Astute sense of appropriate voice and tone
- Ability to turn research and writing projects around quickly
- Strong skills in meeting deadlines, managing multiple projects, and prioritizing workload
- Experience with health, lifestyle, and/or medical content helpful but not required
- Comfort making content decisions
- Proficiency in WordPress and Google Suite
- Experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Learn the basics of how to create an assignment and start creating your own assignments.
- Understand keyword competitive analysis.
- Read through and understand the HL style guide.
- Understand initial edit process and begin initial editing.
- Feel comfortable navigating and completing various tasks in WordPress.
- Feel comfortable navigating Bill.com and approving invoices.
- Feel comfortable with HL’s tone and style.
- Feel comfortable navigating G-suite.
- During your third full month, you should: Create 30-35 of your own assignments and initial edit 30-35 articles.
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Understand our various tracking spreadsheets (and formulas) and begin to contribute data.
- Understand the writer pool and their specialties.
- Understand various demand processes.
- Hit initial edit goals. This means doing, on average, 1.5-2 initial edits for each working day of the month. (You should be fully ramped up by your fourth month.)
- Brainstorm content ideas.
- Be comfortable making editorial content decisions.
- Respond to queries from copy edit and med reviewers.
WITHIN 12 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Have a set editorial calendar.
- Initial edit, on average, 1.5-2 articles per working day.
- Understand the vision and mission of HL and the Demand team.
- Produce high-quality articles according to Healthline editorial standards, while ensuring timely delivery of content.
- Review and incorporate medical reviewer comments and revisions.
- Collaborate across multiple departments including editorial, marketing, social, design, and production.
- Prioritize content and reshuffle timelines based on needs.
- QA published content.
- Coordinate and manage all assets for your content.
- Provide feedback for new writers, assess existing writers, increase and improve writer pool, and help identify and connect with high-quality writers.
- Verifying invoices and monitor deadlines of freelance writers.
- Provide feedback to assistant editors and associate editors.
- Continue to raise our standards of accuracy, integrity, and balance within our content.
- Monitor metrics of content to ensure appropriate goals are being met, revise content as necessary.
- Seek out feedback, as needed (provided by sr. editor, editor II, copyeditors, med review, and other editorial groups).
- Embody and develop these core competencies: action-oriented decision quality self-awareness drives results interpersonal savvy manages ambiguity nimble learning optimizes work processes self-development builds networks customer focus manages complexity resourcefulness.
THE REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD APPLY:
- You love creating content.
- You want to positively change lives.
- You care deeply about access to accurate health information for all.
- You want to help bridge the gap between the medical world and everyday people.
- You want to show the world you can own your health.
- You want to break traffic records!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE WORKING AT HEALTHLINE:
- You’ll hear us talk a lot about culture and the LEADER mindset at Healthline – because we know our people, and how we work together, drive our success and differentiate the impact we have on the world
- Our CULTURE embraces: High Expectations, Feedback, Improvement, Recovery and Celebration
- Our MINDSET brings to work: Learning, Excellence, Accountability, Discipline, Effort and Respect
- These BEHAVIORS reflect the values that are important to us: Empathy, Collaboration, Ingenuity, Integrity, Joyful/Healthful Living
- We’re a purpose-driven organization with a vision to create a stronger, healthier world
- We work together to achieve our mission with humility and genuine respect for each member of our team.
- We’re smart, innovative, and inspiring changemakers
- Transparency and honesty earn us the trust of each other and our users
- We empathize with our users and are committed to being their true ally in their lifelong pursuit of health and well-being
- We have fun, live well, and promote good health. We’re proving that you can work hard and be happy
- We’ve got cozy canine companions in the SF office. Pooches make Healthline HQ fun!
- Our smart, experienced leadership team wants to do it right and is open to new ideas
- We offer competitive compensation packages, one day/week remote option and comprehensive health benefits