Database Reliability Engineer at SwissBorg
Database Reliability Engineer (DBRE)
- REMOTE /ENGINEERING /FULL-TIME
Headquartered in Switzerland with additional offices in Toronto and London, SwissBorg aims to fundamentally change the way individuals manage their wealth. As a product obsessed team, we believe that advanced technology combined with an intuitive user experience will empower people to invest with more freedom, confidence, and belief.
In 2018, we successfully raised funds from over 23,800 global participants who share our vision of a wealth management industry with more community-centric values. We are now working towards the next phase of disruption following the launch of our flagship Wealth App earlier this year. Through our products, individuals across the globe are able to purchase digital assets such as Bitcoin at the best prices, and become members of our ecosystem to unlock first of its kind investment features.
As the first Database Reliability Engineer (DBRE) on our team, you’ll play a critical role in developing and maintaining our database infrastructure. We depend on a small but highly skilled SRE team to keep the foundation safe and stable for our developers to build on. This means having stable systems, automation and the necessary tooling and preparation to respond to possible issues.
The Engineering team at SwissBorg operates with a strong DevOps culture, meaning you will be working collaboratively with development teams to ensure projects are efficiently developed, integrated and deployed. We believe a healthy work-life balance within our teams will enable everyone to do their best work. However, due to the mission-critical nature of this role, there is a real possibility of 3am emergency call if we experience an unexpected outage. As a team, we will do everything to avoid such a situation from happening and plan accordingly the work.
What you’ll be doing:
- Influence and create new designs, architectures, standards, and methods for large-scale distributed systems.
- Establish with the CTO a strategy for bringing geo-partitioning of the data and ensuring the scalability of the system in a hyper-growth environment.
- Develop processes and automation for optimizing database security around our customers private and confidential information (e.g. access, secrets, encryption at rest).
- Solve problems relating to mission-critical services with a focus on using automation to prevent problem recurrence; with the goal of automating response to all non-exceptional service conditions and building better technologies vs. manual resolution
- Diagnose and troubleshoot database errors, including participating in an on-call rotation and available for on-call support as needed.
- Engage in service capacity planning and demand forecasting, software performance analysis, and system tuning.
- Work internally with and support our Data team and get exposure to Data Engineering and Data Science, recommending or implementing emerging database technologies, tools and techniques.
What you’ll need:
- Systematic problem-solving approach coupled with a strong sense of ownership and drive
- The ability to build, configure, and manage clusters of relational and non-relational Databases.
- The ability to evaluate performance of database systems and propose optimisation strategies (caching mechanisms, execution plan optimisation)
- Knowledge and familiarity with Postgres/Aurora is a must, Redshift is a plus. Prior experience with horizontally scalable databases is a great plus (CockroachDB, TiDB, Cassandra, etc).
- High level of autonomy, discipline, and willingness to learn
- Python or Golang skills, or a strong desire to improve your coding ability, infrastructure-as-code (Terraform), GitOps, CI/CD
- Experience with AWS, Kubernetes, and Ansible
- Ability to work collaboratively with a cross-cultural team
- Ability to express your ideas clearly, mostly written, and defend them if need be
- Curiosity and interest in fintech and the cryptocurrency space is a plus
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!