Data Engineer at Avaaz
- Location: Anywhere
- Full-time Allows Remote
Avaaz reaches tens of millions of citizens every week with opportunities to change the world. This includes protecting our planet from climate change and other threats, stopping disinformation on social media from undermining our democracies, and deepening human connection.
Our tech needs are growing, and we’re now looking for a growth mindset Data Engineer with a deep commitment to making an impact in the world to join our tight-knit group of outstanding professionals, working from home in 25 countries. If you’re up for an adventure, read on
Some of the things we’ve been working on are…
- A system for citizens to report disinformation ahead of the EU and US elections
- Reporting on how YouTube’s recommendation algorithm promotes climate denial
- Connecting citizens stuck at home during the coronavirus pandemic
- Providing our campaigns team with detailed statistics to measure campaign success
- Porting our existing architecture to more flexible, containerized services
The Data Engineer will be the part of the Data Science team, which also develops and maintains the structure enabling that stream. We are seeking a candidate with a strong technical background, hands-on experience implementing software and processes for collecting, aggregating, storing, and transforming data, with a strong ability to acquire and develop Avaaz’s domain knowledge.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Provision and configure servers for data manipulation
- Write ETL software to interface with multiple data sources
- Clean, aggregate, and provide static datasets
- Set up data processing pipelines for recurring data collection needs
- Document findings as applicable.
- Software engineering experience in Python with focus on ETL, and a solid grasp of parallelization methods
- Experience in AWS (EC2 and Lambda) and GCP (namely BigQuery)
- Linux server configuration and load management
- Knowledge of, and ability to apply data protection best practices
- Extensive experience with relational databases
- Delivery orientation with high attention to detail and without paralyzing perfectionism
- Fluency in English and excellent communication skills.
- Experience in R
- Experience in using AWS and GCP offerings for data processing
- Good software architecture skills
- Data Science skills and experience.
Avaaz is a movement that brings together over 60 million citizens from across the world, with a mission to help solve some of the world’s biggest problems. Its entire budget comes from small citizen donations, meaning Avaaz is independent and able to take on organisations such as Facebook, Monsanto and the Murdoch media which many other groups cannot.
Avaaz is a fully virtual organisation, coordinating work using email, Skype and other tools. Our staff are based all over the world. Applicants from any timezone may apply. Avaaz will support you to set up a home or co-working environment that leads to excellence in delivery and long-term sustainability.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation varies with location and experience, but is highly competitive with leading nongovernmental organisations. Benefits also range with location, but include 5 weeks paid vacation per year (prorated as applicable).
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!