Data Developer at BallotReady
BallotReady is searching for a full-time Data Developer to develop, improve, and maintain our data infrastructure—and, as a result, join our team in working to bring an unparalleled database on U.S. government to voters and constituents nationwide.
Who We Are
BallotReady is an award-winning startup working to help every voter in America cast an informed vote on every race, every election. We create digital nonpartisan voter guides and build tools to help advocacy groups and campaigns inform and mobilize voters, powered by the most comprehensive database on every level of government.
In 2020, we worked with organizations such as Snapchat, Tiktok, Spotify, and the Miami Heat to inform and turn out over 35 million voters. Now, we’re focused on upcoming elections in 2021and innovative methods for empowering communities to hold elected officials accountable and take effective action year-round on the issues they care about.
What You’ll Do
The Data Developer, who can be based anywhere in the U.S. and reports to the Data Director, is responsible for the following:
- Applying SQL and other coding languages to scrape, clean, and manipulate large data sets.
- Building and maintaining in-house solutions for automating data processing, cleaning, and uploading.
- Collaborating with our Product and Engineering Teams on design documents, implementation of larger projects, and taking our data tools to the next level (e.g., knowing when it’s time to go from a MVP/V1 to V2).
- Ensuring data tools are user-friendly through thoughtful design and supports.
- Identifying and pursuing opportunities to streamline the Data Team’s collective work.
Who You Are
To succeed in this job, you must excel at:
Coding & Scripting: You are a pro at using SQL and at least one scripting language. You have the technical know-how to create, test, and implement solutions to database problems.
Cross-Functional Collaboration: You can lead a cross-functional team to achieve a shared goal. You can develop data tools on your own, and bring related asks to partner teams. You’re excited to iterate on prototypes and get feedback on them. You know how to prioritize your team’s needs in order to be the most effective partner you can for other teams.
Problem-Solving: You can analyze a problem or request to find the central issue at hand and design creative solutions in response. You identify and meet opportunities to streamline a team’s processes.
Making the Technical Accessible: You know data tools succeed when a broader audience can understand and use them. You can communicate complex, technical concepts through clear verbal and written communication. You can translate the requirements for a data tool or project into a compelling user story.
Knowledge of PostgreSQL, Python, and GIS are plusses, but not requirements for the job.
If you were here today, you’d be:
- Looking for ways to collect data more quickly while maintaining accuracy for a unique and nationwide down ballot data set. The Data Developer will help us to build user-friendly internal tools to ingest candidate, positions, and office holder data faster and on more of a rolling basis than our current processes and technologies support. Our goal is to be able to show information from local election authorities on our tools as soon as it becomes available on local websites.
- Exploring new data deliverables for emerging customers. This might involve investigating how to turn raw public data into a format that customers love or diving into a data source we’ve never researched before and developing a plan for how we can match it up with our current database structure.
- Meeting with a software engineer and UX designer to provide a Data Team perspective on a new tool that allows non-technical employees to interact with the database.
What Else You Should Know
At BallotReady, we’re strong believers in flexibility in exchange for responsibility. We hire exceptional people who are excited about our mission, and give them the freedom and leadership to act in support of constituents first. Our work is driven by our core values, which we encourage interested applicants to explore.
BallotReady is an equal opportunity employer and we value having staff who reflect the diversity of all constituents and voters. We especially encourage people of color, LGBQ people, transgender and gender non-conforming people, and people with disabilities to apply for this role. We know that the more we live out our commitment to building a diverse and inclusive team, the better our work will be.
Expected Salary Range: $70,000 – $85,000
Benefits: equity, healthcare, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, 401k platform, FSA, commuter benefits, unlimited PTO
Location: Flexible – we are a remote-first organization
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!