Customer Inquiry Specialist at Owens & Minor - O&M
Remote Customer Inquiry Specialist (M-F 9:30am-6pm MST)
Remote – United States
job requisition id
At Owens & Minor, we are a critical part of the healthcare process. As a Fortune 500 company with 50+ facilities across the US and 18,000 teammates in over 90 countries, we provide integrated technologies, products and services across the full continuum of care. Customersand their patientsare at the heart of what we do.
Our mission is to empower our customers to advance healthcare, and our success starts with our teammates.
Owens & Minor teammate benefits include:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance, available on first working day
- 401(k), eligibility after 30 days of employment
- Employee stock purchase plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Development opportunities to grow your career with a global company
This position responds to customer inquiries regarding account status, researches and assist customers on issues and/or questions about balances or billing. This individual resolves issues by either preparing adjustments, researching bad debit; obtaining payment or refunding and ensures all activity is entered accurately into the billing system.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responds to customer inquiries regarding account status via phone/mail/email/online.
- Researches customer accounts and accurately explains or resolves any billing concerns on accounts that are fully or partially unpaid.
- Resolves billing and collection discrepancies; attempts to set up recurring payment methods for ongoing services and prepares adjustments/write offs or refunds as necessary.
- Processes payments and resubmits patient statements as necessary. Pursues patient for unpaid patient balances and/or payment obligations when insurance defaults, as permitted.
- Re-bill insurance companies when appropriate.
- Complies with Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and HIPAA regulations.
- Coordinates collection agency communication regarding outsourced invoices.
- Ensures all information regarding activity on an account is entered accurately into billing system.
- Brings recurring issues to the attention of the lead, or the department supervisor/manager.
- Performs other duties as required.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
Education and/or Experience
- High school diploma is required.
- One year of related experience is required.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Professional Designations
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Customer Service, Collections or Medical experience
- Business Acumen
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Communication Proficiency
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility
- Basic skills in Access, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Project, Visio, Word
- English (reading, writing, verbal).
- Basic level mathematical proficiency, with a strong ability to understand, interpret and develop spreadsheet data.
This is a stationary position that requires frequent sitting or standing, repetitive wrist motions, grasping, speaking, listening, close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus. It also may require occasional lifting, carrying, walking, climbing, kneeling, bending/stooping, twisting, pulling/pushing, walking, bending, stooping, and reaching above the shoulder. Employees in this position must be physically able to efficiently perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations will be provided to assist or enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position, upon request.
Work is performed in an office setting with exposure to moderate noise.
Occasional travel as required.
The essential duties and responsibilities, physical requirements, and work environment described above are representative of those typically required for this position but may vary depending on staffing and business needs at specific locations. The inclusion or omission of a specific duty or physical requirement is, therefore, not determinative of whether that function is essential to a specific individuals position.
If you feel this opportunity could be the next step in your career, we encourage you to apply. This position will accept applications on an ongoing basis.
Owens & Minor is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, religion, disability, age, status as a veteran, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law.