Customer Advocate at Buffer
Buffer is an equal opportunity employer with teammates all around the world. Our team is made up of individuals who hail from startups to the theatre – we value diverse and non-traditional backgrounds, and encourage all those who are interested in joining the journey to apply.
We’re aligned through Buffer’s values, and we celebrate our unique differences. We value creating a diverse and inclusive work environment and are actively working on building a culture where under-indexed groups are truly welcomed and can flourish.
More About the Customer Advocate Role
For this role, we’re looking for a self-starter who’s outspoken, opinionated, and energized by the opportunity to take initiative and ensure our customers succeed at using Buffer. The right path to helping our customers isn’t always laid out clearly, so a strong ability to think on your feet is key.
We’re passionate about improving Buffer through feedback from customers and collaborating with engineers and designers to build solutions that generate the most impact. As we continue to grow our social media management offering, you can expect to demonstrate your skills and expertise by helping customers across the platform, and explore what it means to help them succeed at their business goals.
The Customer Advocacy team is 21 people strong, with team members spread out across APAC, Europe, Africa, the Middle East, and North America! We stay in close contact with each other over Slack, Dropbox Paper, Zoom, and through a yearly in-person work retreat somewhere around the globe.
Who You’ll Work With
In this role you’ll report to Ross or Darcy, our Customer Advocacy People Leads, and day-to-day you’ll work closely with and be supported by the entire Customer Advocacy team. 🙂
What You’ll Be Doing
- Delighting customers creatively over email, live-chat, and social media.
- Driving success for our customers with the Buffer platform and helping customers achieve their goals.
- Working closely with our Quality Assurance team to escalate bugs and customer feedback.
- Collaborating with your team daily over asynchronous channels like email and Slack, and weekly over live video syncs.
- Growing as a technical support professional as you learn the ins and outs of the Buffer platform.
- Working part of the weekend (one day).
- As a teammate at Buffer, you will agree to uphold our values and code of conduct.
Helpful Skills and Experience
We’re looking for the “ideal candidate.” Not all of these are must haves so please take the leap to get in touch, even if you don’t feel you meet all criteria!
- Prior customer support experience is required (preferably working with a SaaS product and with both a paid and a free-access customer base).
- Strong verbal and written English communication skills.
- Ability to organize, break down, and clearly articulate complex thoughts, ideas, and instructions in written form.
- Strong ability to take initiative and confidently direct customer interactions.
- Ability to thrive in ambiguity and fast-moving environments.
- Ability to remain empathetic, even in difficult situations, and guide customers to efficient solutions. Gets satisfaction from helping others.
- Clear understanding of how APIs work and how Buffer connects to third parties.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work in a self-directed way with a high degree of motivation to set and achieve ambitious goals.
- Well-practiced technical skills and experience working with more complex support (products that integrate with other products).
- Comfortable working with customers over email, both public and private social media communications, and phone or chat environments.
- Must live and work in the timezone range of Australia/Asia and/or Pacific, Mountain, Central or Eastern Time. We’re hiring 3 new teammates from these regions.
Perks and Benefits
We hope that you’re excited by the possibilities that come with working at Buffer! In addition to our unique culture, we also offer these fun perks and benefits.
💰 Competitive salary: Our salary formula adjusts to your cost of living and experience. For this role, the range is: $55K – $87K USD.
🏝 Work remotely: Live and work wherever you like! We believe in folks working where they are happiest and most productive.
💪 Health insurance: We offer health insurance for all of our team members, international or US.
💻 Home office setup: Get a laptop + $500 to set up your home office.
👓 Growth mindset fund: Extra money for learning and development.
⛺️ Time to recharge: At least 3 weeks/year of minimum vacation, with no upper limit and currently we’re working a 4-day workweek.
🤑 401(k): With 3% company match.
📈 Profit sharing: When the company does well, all team members share the profits. We distribute 8-15% of profits annually to the team.
🍼 Family leave: 3 months of family leave for all parents, and more is possible.
✈️ Retreats: When we can, we meet in person for company get-togethers twice per year.
☕️ Working smarter stipend: Get some extra cash for a co-working space or coffee shop work.
📚 Free books and Kindle: Get a free Kindle and all the free books – digital, physical, and audio – you like, anytime.
⛱ Sabbaticals: Take a 6-week break, fully paid, after every 5 years with Buffer.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!