Temporary Copy Editor
Healthline.com is the fastest-growing health information site on the planet. Every month, over 100 million people count on our talented teams to support, guide and inspire them toward the best possible health outcomes for themselves and their families. We create authoritative content that’s highly relevant, approachable and actionable. And we complement that with a culture of genuine compassion. In short, we’re changing the consumer health information business and we need exceptional people like you to help us do it. If you share our vision for a stronger, healthier world please explore Healthline Media and let’s talk.
Healthline has also recently become a certified “Great Place to Work” You can check out our review and get a better idea of what it’s like to work @ Healthline here: http://reviews.greatplacetowork.com/healthline
Location: Remote or San Francisco office
About the Team
Do you not only love editing, but also care about what you’re editing? Are you passionate about health and wellness? Helping people? All of the above?
Healthline produces a range of content under the health and wellness umbrellahealth-related news stories, lifestyle articles on topics such as Pilates, and in-depth pieces on health conditions and treatments. We’re looking for a seasoned copy editor who is equally diverse to copy edit our content.
About the Role
As the final set of eyes on articles, you’re responsible for maintaining the highest level of quality that separates Healthline from the rest. And we’re obsessed with constantly creating better and better content. You’ll not only enforce the (style) rules, but also help set new ones.
This role will work closely with editors across many different types of projects. You’ll need excellent communication skills to hit deadlines and resolve roadblocks. The role is ideal for someone who likes a fast-paced environment, is able to bounce from project to project, and thrives on collaboration.
The copy editor will report to the senior project manager in our San Francisco office.
This will be a temporary role and will likely go through May 2019.
What are your Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, or related field
- 2+ years of copyediting experience
What You’ll Do and How You’ll Make an Impact
- Edit news, lifestyle, and clinical content for style, tone, and flow.
- Correct grammar, punctuation, and formatting errors.
- Conform content to in-house style.
- Review sources for quality and proper citation format.
- Communicate with editors and medical reviewers to resolve inaccuracies.
- Perform quality assurance on published content.
- Provide feedback to editors on quality of work.
- Update in-house style guide and documentation.
- Contribute to project work as assigned.
We Are Excited About You Because You Have
- a firm understanding of AP style and APA formatting
- a hawk-like ability to catch errant punctuation and grammatical mistakes
- a knack for making content flow
- a love of language
- an astute sense of appropriate style, voice, and tone
- strong skills in meeting deadlines and prioritizing workload
- high editorial standards
- experience with tracked changes in Microsoft Word
- experience with a content management system
- basic knowledge of HTML
Why You’ll Love Working at Healthline
- You’ll hear us talk a lot about culture and the LEADER mindset at Healthline – because we know our people, and how we work together, drive our success and differentiate the impact we have on the world
- Our CULTURE embraces: High Expectations, Feedback, Improvement, Recovery and Celebration
- Our MINDSET brings to work: Learning, Excellence, Accountability, Discipline, Effort and Respect
- These BEHAVIORS reflect the values that are important to us: Empathy, Collaboration, Ingenuity, Integrity, Joyful/Healthful Living
- We’re a purpose-driven organization with a vision to create a stronger, healthier world
- We work together to achieve our mission with humility and genuine respect for each member of our team.
- We’re smart, innovative, and inspiring changemakers
- Transparency and honesty earn us the trust of each other and our users
- We empathize with our users and are committed to being their true ally in their lifelong pursuit of health and well-being
- We have fun, live well, and promote good health. We’re proving that you can work hard and be happy
- We’ve got cozy canine companions in the office. Pooches make Healthline HQ fun!
- Our smart, experienced leadership team wants to do it right and is open to new ideas
- We offer competitive compensation packages and comprehensive health benefits
Does this sound like it was written for you? Excellent! Please apply and let’s explore this together.