SAN FRANCISCO, NY OR REMOTE W/IN U.S.
Medium’s mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are building a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers. We are creating the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas.
We’re looking for a Copy Chief to oversee the flow of articles from our growing roster of publications through the copy edit process. In addition to copy editing some of our stories, the copy chief will supervise the copy desk, a team of remote copy editors across the country who read and check every article before publication. The copy chief will also own and update the Medium style guide as our editorial strategy evolves. Are you passionate about language? Do you believe that using the right words at the right time matters? Are you obsessed with pristine copy? Come join our team.
What will you do?
- You will triage workload by distributing articles to copy editors, including daily stories and longer-term projects.
- You will evaluate the distribution of copy editing resources, making decisions about which stories need more time and care and which need less.
- You will work with story editors and editorial operations to ensure that all articles are moving through the copy desk in a timely manner.
- You will hire, manage, and provide feedback to our remote team of copy editors.
- You will own, maintain, and improve Medium’s style guide.
- At least 10 years of experience as an editor or copy editor in print or digital journalism.
- Experience editing breaking news, features, and interactive projects, as well as social media and web production.
- A meticulous eye for detail and a commitment to producing the highest-quality journalism possible.
- A sophisticated relationship with copy, in that you are a stickler on details but can appreciate stylistic deviations from the rules.
- World-class organizational skills.
- Confidence working in a fast-paced, bicoastal start-up environment.
- Experience managing and evaluating staff members for performance.
- Familiarity with Medium and its unique opportunities for expression and interaction.
- Expertise with AP Style.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested? We’d love to hear from you.