Chief Operating Officer at Bellwether Education Partners
Chief Operating Officer
- Remote/Home Office
Use your love of team, operations, and culture building to ensure we’re on track to achieve our mission!
We are seeking a Chief Operating Officer (COO) to oversee the day-to-day management of Bellwether’s operations, finance and administration, talent, and business systems. In addition to day-to-day management of Bellwether’s core services team, the COO works in partnership with team leaders (Strategic Advising, Policy & Evaluation, External Relations, and Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion (DEI)) to ensure that Bellwether accomplishes its mission. Bellwether’s COO cultivates a vibrant culture where employees can grow, prosper, and embody Bellwether’s core values. This role is flexible, enabling us to hire the best person for the role, regardless of geography.
About Bellwether Education Partners
Bellwether Education Partners is a national nonprofit focused on dramatically changing education and life outcomes for underserved children. We do this by helping education organizations accelerate their impact and by working to improve policy and practice.
Bellwether’s core team is responsible for ensuring that Bellwether’s program areas have the tools and services needed to serve our client partners and ultimately achieve Bellwether’s mission.
The COO is a member of Bellwether’s senior leadership team and works closely with leadership to ensure that key initiatives, like the annual budgeting and goal-setting process, are well structured, planned, and executed. Throughout the year, the COO manages and supports the team to ensure Bellwether can achieve goals set out in its strategic priority areas. The COO is also responsible for engaging Bellwether’s board of directors.
In this position, you should expect to:
- Own the core team P&L and identify organization investments required to accomplish goals.
- Supervise, manage, and develop the core team leaders (Director of Operations, Director of Business Systems, Talent Manager), ensuring a strong service and collaboration orientation.
- Develop implementation goals and measures over the life of Bellwether’s strategic plan, in partnership with the leaders of each priority (e.g., client and field impact; diversity, equity, and inclusion; team; and financial sustainability).
- Develop systems and implement processes for establishing Bellwether’s annual budget.
- Lead planning for regular engagement of the senior management team.
- Oversee the design and implementation of the annual full-team retreat.
- Actively participate in Bellwether’s DEI working group, making connections between Bellwether’s DEI strategy and our internal systems, policies, and human capital practices.
- Work in partnership with the human capital team and program leaders to identify, prioritize, and provide professional learning and development that is designed to advance the Bellwether teams’ ability to drive impact.
- Design and disseminate team-wide communications to ensure the team is informed and equipped with the information they need to do their work; this includes designing the cadence of and content for full-team and leadership team communications.
- In collaboration with the Managing Partner, prepare for and conduct Bellwether’s quarterly meetings with the Board of Directors.
Bellwether is a good fit for professionals who possess strong personal drive and motivation, and who are resourceful, responsible, tenacious, independent, and self-confident.
Excited? We are too. You should apply if you have:
- Familiarity with the challenges and disparities facing underserved students and pre-K through 16 education in the United States.
- A commitment to Bellwether’s core values, including diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- A commitment to our work to address policies and practices that lead to inequitable outcomes for marginalized groups.
- An ability to model a high degree of reflection and self-awareness, build trusted relationships across lines of difference, and seek out and respond to perspectives different from your own, and you are an effective and persuasive communicator with exceptional interpersonal skills.
- A passion for cultivating culture and developing effective and flexible systems, and will support a diverse group of systems as they grow their impact into the second decade of our work.
- Demonstrated experience managing within a mid- to large-size organization (>$10M).
- Familiarity with the delivery of professional services and a client-service orientation.
- Expertise in collaborating and building organizational financial activity and systems, including budgeting, multiyear forecasting, modeling, accounting, and reporting; familiarity with complex nonprofit compliance and risk management issues.
- Experience developing knowledge management systems and related practices that build buy-in.
- Seasoned team management and leadership skills, with bonus points for building consensus and effectively building decision making.
- A vision for building highly effective, collaborative, and inclusive organizations.
Bellwether Education Partners provides competitive compensation and an attractive benefits package that includes a performance bonus based on individual and firm success, health care coverage, and a 401(k) plan with an employer matching contribution policy.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!