Attorney I at Lexipol LLC
Full Time Exempt
Requisition ID: 1125
Provides legal research and support for attorneys 2 and 3 and responsible for monitoring and preparing legislative updates for assigned states and products.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Identify and review legislative, judicial and best practice developments that affect assigned states, regions or products, including developments in the areas of public safety, risk management, civil rights, employment, criminal and civil liabilities law.
- Research, recommend, review and draft Lexipol policy and other content.
- Exercise individual judgment to ensure policy compliance with state laws, regulations or standards; recommend changes and updates as necessary.
- Provide legal research and support to other attorneys.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite Applications (Word, basic Excel, Outlook). Ability to learn specialized software systems.
- Knowledge of principles, methods and techniques of legal research.
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to clearly and effectively convey information (orally and in writing) to individuals and groups.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to learn new areas of the law quickly.
- Ability to research, understand, and deduce relationships from pertinent federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations; ability to communicate same clearly and effectively.
- Knowledge of laws, regulations, judicial precedents, interpretations, and exemptions affecting public safety professionals.
- Exceptional project management, organization and time management skills with the ability to multitask with shifting priorities.
- Ability to identify and analyze complex legal issues and problems, research and organize facts, perform risk-benefit analyses and evaluate alternatives and develop sound conclusions and recommendations.
- Knowledge of risk management and policy theory, principles and practices and their application to public safety activities.
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited law school and current membership in a state bar.
- A minimum of 5 years’ legal research, analysis, and writing experience.
- Minimum of five years’ experience, with at least two years in a state or local government agency or law firm that has experience in public safety, criminal or civil rights litigation preferred.
- Experience in the development and review of policy and procedure applicable to public safety professionals.
- Experience in the review, analysis and application of legal requirements to public safety activities.
- Experience establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with public safety, government and legal and other professionals.
Key Performance Indicators
- Demonstrated ability to draft high-quality and accurate policy language that is clear and understandable.
- Timely updates of policies based on legislative and regulatory changes.
- Exercise sound judgment and accurately identify policy implications of legislative and regulatory enactments.
Duties listed are not intended to be exhaustive or exclusive; other duties may be assigned. Management retains the discretion to add to or change the duties of the position at any time.
Lexipol offers a competitive base salary and a comprehensive benefits package including 401(k) with Company match and paid time off. This position reports to the Director of Legal.
Lexipol is the nation’s leading content, policy and training platform for public safety and local government, enabling first responders and leaders to better protect their communities and reduce risk. With a library of 200,000 articles and reports, 16,000 policies and procedures, 3,700 training courses and a network of digital media communities including PoliceOne, FireRescue1, EMS1, CorrectionsOne and EfficientGov, we directly serve more than 7,500 public safety agencies and municipalities.
We offer our customers, partners, and members, including nearly two million public safety professionals and local government leaders, the most comprehensive resource for policies, online training and grant assistance and the most up-to-date news and mission-critical information.
Our mission is to enhance the safety and effectiveness of the men and women who serve and protect our communities.
Lexipol provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!