Associate Director, Corporate Communication at Clorox
Associate Director Corporate Communication
Remote – US
Make your mark
At Clorox, we build big brands that make everyday life better, every day. We value our differences, and challenge each other to think and act boldly. We try new things, succeed, fail and keep learning. We work hard, and have busy personal lives. And we’re all able to make a positive impact at Clorox, in our communities, and in the lives of millions of people who invite us into their homes. Make your mark and help us drive Good Growth growth that is profitable, sustainable and responsible.
The Associate Director of Issues Management will develop communications strategies, tactics & tools to shape and defend the reputation of The Clorox Company. This leader will be responsible for identifying emerging issues that may affect the company’s reputation as well as working closely with cross-functional colleagues to track and strategically respond to actual issues and crises related to the company and our brands. This role is also responsible for working with the company’s key industry associations (ACI, CBA) on working through issues and other reputation challenges impacting the industry and, by extension, the company.
This role is also responsible for identifying and cultivating third-party influencers who can provide external perspective to key issues and serve as credible and visible supporters of the company during issues of relevance to their expertise. The individual will also be responsible for developing communications frameworks to shape the company’s reputation as a thought leader via key messaging platforms, Q&As as well as messaging for key topics of strategic and/or reputational significance to the company.
Proactive and Reactive Issues Management
- Drive communications related to a range of high-stakes issues and crises, including advising key internal stakeholders and partners on how to plan for and respond to adverse public scrutiny in real time and in evolving situations.
- Develop response strategies, including key messages and Q&As to help the company navigate issues around a variety of topics it typically faces, including product safety, marketing, litigation, policy and regulatory matters, ESG, etc.
- Work with internal and external Legal counsel to develop appropriate public messages, explaining and supporting the company’s position.
- Lead response strategies for potential reputational issues identified in social media, working closely with relevant members of the Corporate Communications and Brand Engagement teams on response.
- Drive communications around M&A, working with Corporate and Business Development and other cross-functional deal partners.
- Represent Corporate Communications on the company’s Product Issues Team (PIT), working with Brand and other internal partners on managing high-stakes product issues.
- Provide counsel to Consumer Care team on appropriate responses related to company and/or brand issues.
Issues Analysis and Communications Frameworks
- Track and compile quarterly analysis of company and brand issues as a means to demonstrate effective proactive and reactive response as well as engage internal partners on contributing to addressing current and emerging issues.
- Lead the development/maintenance of a single repository of all key messages and Q&As related to company and brand issues in partnership with Associate Director ESG Communications and Associate Director External Communications
Collaboration with Industry Associations
- Serve as company representative and liaison to key industry associations, contributing to industry communications strategies to ensure Clorox’s perspective are captured in media responses, campaigns, etc.
- Collaborate with Global Stewardship and Government Affairs on united approach and perspectives.
- Supports other corporate communication activities, as assigned
Key Skills, Abilities and Experience Required
- 10 or more years of experience with large-company corporate communications or PR agency supporting corporate communications work
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution required, Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in issues/crises/corporate reputation management at a large company or PR agency
- Minimum of 8 years of experience developing strategic communication plans
- Minimum of 8 years of experience content development news, features, social media
- Demonstrated experience in handling high-stakes issues/crises
- Demonstrated ability to influence and counsel senior leadership
- Strong copy writing and editing skills
- Strong graphic design and visual communications skills
- Excellent presentation, negotiation and collaboration skills
- Experience successfully developing and executing internal communication strategies, including driving manager-led communication programs across an enterprise
- Knowledge and experience with a variety of communication vehicles and tools
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with executives and other senior leaders
- Demonstrated ability to lead cross-functional teams and projects
- Management experience preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree, College Diploma, or Equivalent (Required)
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!