Title: Area Underwriter (Remote)
Location: Santa Ana, CA, US
Area Underwriter (Remote)
Job Family: Underwriting
Requisition Number: R009584
Employment Category: Full Time – Regular
Join our Agency team! First American Title’s Agency Division is dedicated to providing our policy-issuing agents with resources, services and underwriting guidance needed to achieve new levels of success. As a global leader in providing title insurance, settlement services and risk solutions, First American has been entrusted to protect homeownership since 1889. Don’t miss this opportunity to join the Agency team and build your career at First American Title Insurance Company (NYSE: FAF). We believe that our people are the key to the company’s continued success. Because our employees enable our future, we invest in theirs by supporting their careers and promoting their overall wellbeing. First American has created an award-winning culture and has been named to the Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For® 2018 list for the third consecutive year and to more than 50 regional Best Places to Work lists. For more information, visit www.firstam.com
There is no geographic location requirement for this position. This is a position that will allow working remote, working from home, or working from any FA office.
Job Description Summary
Provides underwriting support and expertise to company personnel, agents, and customer(s), related to the issuance of real estate title insurance commitments and policies. Utilizes underwriting standards and guidelines within delegated authority limits, to underwrite the issuance of title insurance and provide guidance in the performance of real estate settlement services.
- Provides underwriting support, counsel, and authorization to company personnel, agents, and customer(s), related to the issuance of real estate title insurance commitments and policies.
- Utilizes underwriting standards and guidelines within delegated authority limits, to underwrite the issuance of title insurance
- Develops and maintains effective business relationships with assigned agents and brokers as well as internal and other external clients in order to attract, develop and retain profitable business for the Area
- Reviews and approves draft underwriting standards and guidelines from subordinates, in accordance with established company processes.
- Responsible for communicating information related to underwriting and real estate settlement services from superiors to subordinates.
- Responsible for monitoring state law and recommending to superiors practice changes as required.
- Participates with regional underwriting staff in underwriting initiatives around product development.
- Analyzes key metrics of underwriters to identify areas of improvement and development opportunities.
Knowledge and Skills/Technology Used
- Excellent understanding of concepts, practices and procedures of real estate titles and closing.
- Strong knowledge of Federal and State regulations related to real estate title insurance and settlement services.
- Ability to lead others in effectively implementing programs and projects.
- Excellent interpersonal and coaching skills.
- Ability to diagnose and analyze problems, identify and drive appropriate solutions and, achieve desired results.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize and work under pressure.
- Ability to build relationships and create rapport.
- Requires abstract thinking and creative solutions.
- Ability to ‘think outside the box’ and make unique yet sound decisions to resolve complex issues.
- High School Diploma Required
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
Typical Range of Experience
- 10-12+ years title underwriting experience.
- Must be familiar with real estate law.