Actuary – Global Retail Markets, Reserving-103049
Advance your actuarial career at Liberty Mutual Insurance – A Fortune 100 Company!
Global Retail Markets (GRM) Actuarial US Reserving is seeking an Actuary responsible for evaluating the adequacy of held reserves on catastrophes. This position oversees $600M of Personal and Business Lines direct catastrophe reserves and leads a team of 2. This role is focused on protecting the GRM US balance sheet via early and effective recognition and communication of key trends and risks to the GRM Chief Actuary, as well as to other senior leaders within GRM. Other responsibilities include expanding the use of predictive models in catastrophe reserving decisions, and implementation and management of process improvement initiatives to support reserving unit goals and cross-functional needs. As such, the successful actuary will possess strong analytical and communication skills as well as a demonstrated ability to execute thoroughly in a collaborative environment. This position will report to Yan Miao, Senior Actuary, GRM Actuarial Short-Tailed Reserving.
- Upon each catastrophe declaration, generate ranges of ultimate loss in real time, select a point estimate, and make booking recommendations
- Communicate catastrophe estimates regularly to GRM executive leadership, including the GRM President
- Perform regular evaluations of the adequacy of CAT reserves
- Collaborate closely with GRM Product and GRM Claims before, during, and after a catastrophe to estimate the ultimate loss amount, and with GRM Finance monthly
- Quickly recognize and effectively communicate to key stakeholders the trends that affect catastrophe reserve development
- Ensure and enhance the analytical rigor of catastrophe estimates by investigating alternative methodologies, quantifying ranges, and integrating predictive modeling tools
- Work closely with external parties, such as auditors, to explain our processes, controls, and results
- Manage and develop talent; work with team members to achieve performance expectations and provide regular feedback and coaching
****The location for this position is open****
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Fellowship in the Casualty Actuarial Society (FCAS) preferred, or comparable actuarial education/designation combined with relevant experience
- Demonstrated ability to apply actuarial skills and business acumen with 5 or more years of progressively responsible actuarial experience; managerial experience preferred
- Detailed knowledge of personal and business lines preferred, along with a solid understanding of casualty actuarial reserving techniques, standards, and assumptions
- Demonstrated ability to build effective relationships and drive collaboration across departments and functions
- Demonstrated ability to motivate, develop, and delegate to team members
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate areas of senior management concern, integrate different perspectives, and influence decision making through effective analysis and communication
- Experience with ResQ a plus
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to positive change. In return for your service, it’s our privilege to offer you benefits and rewards that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
At Liberty Mutual, we give motivated, accomplished professionals the opportunity to help us redefine what insurance means; to work for a global leader with a deep sense of humanity and a focus on improving and protecting everyday lives. We create an inspired, collaborative environment, where people can take ownership of their work; push breakthrough ideas; and feel confident that their contributions will be valued and their growth championed.
We’re dedicated to doing the right thing for our employees, because we know that their fulfillment and success leads us to great places. Life. Happiness. Innovation. Impact. Advancement. Whatever their pursuit, talented people find their path at Liberty Mutual.
Primary Location: US-* Remote
Salary (Pay Basis): 142,000.00-187,000.00
Education Level: Bachelor’s Degree (±16 years)
Shift: Day Job