Accountant at Sourcegraph
Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. We help developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. In enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our company is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced 4x year-over-year revenue growth and our recent $125M Series D from Andreessen Horowitz and $50M Series C from Sequoia have given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven’t even heard of code search yet, but once you’ve used it, you can’t live without it–just like Google web search). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
Why this job is exciting
Reporting to the Controller, you will be the second hire on our Accounting and Financial Reporting team. Sourcegraph is scaling quickly and we are looking to hire someone who can support our Finance team and be a trusted partner to the business through this stage of hyper growth.
You will work closely with FP&A, Peoples Ops, and the Legal teams to create and drive efficiencies and prepare for the future—after all, what works at 150 employees won’t work at 500, 1,000, or beyond. You will also have the opportunity to support our Controller in a number of key projects that are on our radar – first audit, international expansion, and the introductions of new financial reporting tools and software.
You will be relied upon to provide valuable insights to business around all spend, and we will look to you to provide guidance on efficiencies that we can add to our procurement and T&E processes.
Within one month:
- Study Sourcegraph’s products, customers, business model, and our values
- Meet with key stakeholders to understand the current status of our AP, T&E, international payroll and other processes that our finance team supports, and begin to support and take over these responsibilities
- Meet with our external accounting team and lay the groundwork for a successful relationship that will help support our rapid growth.
Within three months:
- You will have taken full ownership of our AP and T&E process
- You will have identified improvements that can be introduced to our AP, T&E, and international payroll processes. Working with the Controller, you will begin to add efficiencies to these processes.
- You will be working closely with our FP&A team at the financial statement close, understanding what accruals are required, what fluctuations exist at the P&L, and providing other detailed spend related insights.
Within six months:
- You will be trusted as the go to person for any T&E, AP, or international payroll related query
- You will be supporting the Controller in key projects such as our first audit, or the creation of international entities.
- You will be an active participant in monthly and quarterly budget vs actuals reporting and our annual and quarterly planning and forecasting processes, providing detailed insights into our spend.
- You will be at the forefront of automating our financial reporting.
- Working with the Controller, you will create a long term vision for how our accounting team will grow.
- 2-3 years accounting, financial reporting experience
- Past ownership of cash accounting and bank reconciliations
- Experience at automating processes
- Must be highly proficient using Microsoft Excel / Google Docs
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Detail-oriented with a high sense of urgenc
Nice to haves:
- Experience working with SaaS and/or enterprise software companies preferred but not required
- Experience with multiple international entities is a plus
Interview process [~4 hour total interview]
- You apply.
- [30 min] Recruiter screen with our Recruiting team.
- [60 min] Cross-team Collaboration Interview with two members from our FP&A team
- [60 min] Hiring Manager Interview with our Controller
- [30 min] Leadership Interview with our VP of Operations
- [30 mins] Values Interview
- Any other informal conversations with people who you would be working closely with but didn’t get to meet during the interview process.
- We check references & make you an offer!
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying. Studies show that you can still be considered for a role if you meet just 50% of the role’s requirements. We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
We provide competitive compensation and practical benefits to keep you happy and healthy so that you can do your best work.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!