401k Support Associate at Betterment
Title: 401(k) Support Associate
Location: United States
Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing and retirement solutions for retail investors and investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small and medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making people’s lives better. We’re headquartered in NYC, and offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) and select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
The 401(K) Support team at Betterment is key to enhancing our customer-focused product, supporting its users, and is relied on by every team in our organization. As a 401(k) Support Associate you will help to provide support to 401(k) plan participants whose employers have chosen Betterment at Work for their company’s retirement plan, as well as Plan Sponsors who have chosen Betterment as their recordkeeper. As a 401(k) Support Associate, you like working with people, finding solutions, and are a master at the art of the analogy. You understand what it means to be a champion of a brand. You are the voice for customers, and relish providing them with that wow moment. You understand what it is like to be a customer, and appreciate going above and beyond to delight people and solve their problems. In this role, you will be joining a tight-knit team that is an integral part of the organization.
This role is remote eligible. Below we’ve reflected the base salary range we would offer for this position in locations with city or state requirements. For those located elsewhere, the actual compensation offered will be based on candidate experience and geographic location. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterment’s total compensation package for employees.
- New York City: $50,000-$60,000
- Colorado: $45,000-$54,000
- Washington: $45,000-$54,000
- California: $45,000-$54,000
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental and vision benefits, life and AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance, EAP, commuter/parking, FSA/HSA, and a 401(k) offering with employer match as well as a flexible PTO policy.
A day in the life
- Deliver above-and-beyond customer service and experiences through phone, email, or live chat
- Explain complex transactional and investment principles clearly, helping prospects and customers see the benefits of our products
- Lead with empathy and a problem-solving mindset to identify client issues and concerns, investigating why they happened, and communicating cross-functionally to find rapid resolutions
- Act as the internal voice of the customer, offering insights to all areas of the business to help build a better product
- Access to learning and development resources to equip and empower you with the skillset to continuously improve and problem solve in collaboration with your peers and business partners
What we’re looking for
- 1-3 years in financial services, specifically 401(k), with an emphasis in providing an excellent customer experience
- Technical savvy, specifically the ability to navigate multiple complex systems simultaneously to respond to customer inquiries
- Exceptional written communication skills and ability to build rapport – you will speak with our customers through email and in real-time over our live chat feature
- Customer service, call center or related experience working with CRM systems (For example: Zendesk, Salesforce, etc.)
- A learner’s mindset and an appetite for financial acumen
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people’s lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, and ourselves and we won’t stop until we reach them. We don’t just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we’re at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes and strive to uphold our supportive and inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; STD and LTD benefits, including infertility support and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; and generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 6 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own and lead change and affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
We’ll take a few weeks to review all applications. If we’d like to spend more time with you, we’ll reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, and our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
CPRA Language – CA Applicants ONLY
We collect and store personal information for the purposes of candidate tracking (for this role and future opportunities). The information you provide in the course of completing your application will be kept for up to 24 months. We use tools provided by third-party service providers but do not share candidate information for any purpose other than for recruiting. To access the data that is collected, request deletion or to make updates to your candidate profile, please email email@example.com.
For jobs based out of our NYC HQ, we require in office attendance Tuesday through Thursday, weekly.
Browse Related Categories:
Want Access to 30,000+ More Remote and Flexible Jobs?
Part-time to full-time,
freelance to employee
More Career Fields
career coaching & more