Writer – Editor at Swing Left
- Remote OK
The Writer/Editor position works across channels providing necessary copy and guidance adhering to the Swing Left voice. He/she/they provides vision and strategy as well as conceptual and executional excellence. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in writing, both long and short form, the ability to work across several teams/departments, and the ability to adapt to our brand voice. A knowledge and/or working background in politics is essential.
About Swing Left
Swing Left is a national grassroots organization that took back the House in 2018 by building a national campaign for Democratic candidates in 84 Swing Districts in three big ways: recruiting and training an army of volunteers, raising funds from grassroots donors, and building cultural momentum for the midterms. For 2020, we’ll be bringing our “campaigns-in-waiting” model to swing Senate seats, defend the House, win the state-level races needed to ensure fair maps for 2021 redistricting—and, of course, the Presidency.
In 2018 we took back the House. Join us, and help transform our government in 2020.
- Maintain and update Swing Left’s style guide
- Write and copyedit written content to enforce consistency with our brand standards:
- Emails, social, and blog posts
- Messaging guides for new initiatives and launches
- Landing pages, new site copy
- Long-form writing (op-eds, Medium posts, etc)
- Script copy for video content
- Copy for partner and surrogate sharing campaigns
- Organizing tools, such as toolkits, guides, and materials for Swing Left’s Field staff and volunteers
- Participate in creative and social content brainstorms
- Contribute to narrative strategy and reinforce application of key messages to content
- Strong advocate for Swing Left’s mission
- Previous experience writing for a political organization or publication strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution with an emphasis on writing; and/or combined 5 years of on the job experience in an editorial creative role
- Experience writing both long (articles, white papers, blog posts) and short form (ad copy, social media)
- Understanding of marketing campaign development and the various mediums and channels to execute a campaign: video, website, social, digital marketing, email, paid advertising
- Experience collaborating with marketing and creative departments
- Creative thinker who can provide new creative solutions
- Meticulous proofreader
- Ability to take responsibility for copy development
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills and the ability to meet deadlines
- Demonstrates initiative and follow-through
We are an equal opportunity employer and seek applications from all qualified candidates who are eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas at this time.
The Writer/Editor position is a full-time, remote position. Swing Left provides a competitive salary and benefits package. We are happy to answer any questions you have about our benefits, retirement, parental leave policies and other, similar benefits in interviews.
We believe that the GOP’s bad behavior disproportionately hurts the most marginalized people in society — including people of color, people from working-class backgrounds, people with disabilities, women and LGBTQ people. We believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities and members of other marginalized communities.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!