Writer – Content Marketing Specialist at Yelp
Writer/Content Marketing Specialist
- Remote United States
- G&A – Marketing
- Full Time
Yelp is looking for a stellar content creator—also known as a writer—for our growing Content Marketing team, serving both the business and consumer sides of our marketplace. Our Content Marketing Specialist will work with other Yelpers to develop content that makes more meaningful connections with our audiences.
Our B2B content focuses on resources for business owners and managers to inspire them and help them promote and grow their businesses. We write about how to use Yelp effectively of course, but we also offer general best practices for marketing and promoting local businesses of all types—from restaurants and nightclubs to plumbers and landscapers. Our B2C content is intended to capture the attention of consumers when they are planning a project or shopping for services from a local professional or business, like this article about the benefits of hiring a professional mover.
With a variety of topics and content types to tackle, the ideal candidate for this position is a versatile and fast researcher and writer who thinks like a marketer and acts like a journalist. This is a unique opportunity to join a rapidly growing marketing organization, contribute to Yelp’s growth, help local businesses succeed, and connect consumers to great local businesses.
What You’ll Do
- Research, write, and edit articles for the Yelp business blog and the business.yelp website
- Research, write, and edit articles for consumers on Yelp.com, like this one with home improvement tips or this one on finding a good locksmith
- Research, write, and edit other types of content to inspire and build trust with the business owners and consumers, including educational articles, guides, and customer stories
- Interview internal and external subject matter experts and business owners as needed in the course of reporting and writing stories
- Collaborate with colleagues in marketing, product, customer success, PR, and sales as well as external resources—including customers, partners, freelancers, and vendors—to create and distribute content
- Modify and edit existing content—or create new content—for various teams at Yelp who request it (product marketing, performance and lifecycle marketing, product development, community, social media, sales, etc.)
- Help implement, manage, and maintain all the behind-the-scenes guides, systems, and processes that keep us running like a well-oiled machine: editorial calendars, content plans, audits/inventories, style guides, analytics, etc.
- Work with teams that request content to understand their goals for the project, identify a concept, and ultimately create content that will achieve those goals, appeal to the defined audience, and stay true to the Yelp brand
- Serve as an editor for content contributors around the organization and other members of the content team
- Foster a culture of creative excellence; explain the thinking behind writing/editing decisions and share best practices with other writers and non-writers
What We Want to See in You
- 7+ years of professional writing experience, preferably a mix of journalism and marketing
- 3 years of experience in marketing or a business editorial environment
- Strong editing, proofreading, and storytelling skills
- A demonstrated ability to turn ideas into compelling content The ability to flexibly adapt your writing style—and edit others’ writing—to fit with Yelp’s voice and tone
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or marketing is preferred
- Experience working with or for local small and medium-sized businesses is preferred
- Experience with WordPress (or a similar CMS) is preferred
- An enormous amount of empathy and humanity, with a deep understanding of how words make people feel
- A healthy respect for deadlines: the ability to prioritize progress over perfection and the drive to see projects through to completion
- Excitement for all aspects of content development: idea generation, research, writing, gathering input and buy in, editing, collaborating with designers, and the ultimate thrill: clicking “publish” and seeing your work in the wild
- Please submit a resume, portfolio, and brief cover letter that tells us why we’d be crazy not to hire you
What You’ll Get
- Available your first day: Full medical, vision, and dental (Employee-only plans available at no cost to the employee)
- 15 days PTO per year for first 2 years of employment (accrual begins on date of hire); number of PTO days increases after 2 years of tenure, 5 paid wellness days, 12 paid holidays, 1 floating holiday
- Up to 14 weeks of parental leave
- Monthly wellness reimbursement
- Health Savings, Flexible Spending and Dependent Care accounts
- 401(k) retirement savings plan with employer match
This is a full time role based in the United States.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!