Workup Specialist Bilingual – Spanish at Be The Match
Title: Workup Specialist Bilingual (Spanish) – Remote or Minneapolis
- Location: Minneapolis US-MN US
- Job Type: PERMANENT
- Job Time: FULLTIME
BE THE MATCH OPERATING PHILOSOPHY:
Right now, people’s lives depend upon our performance. Our leaders have ownership of their areas, the autonomy to determine the best path, and the responsibility to ethically deliver excellent results. Both team members and leaders exemplify our Be The Match Standards.
This position coordinates all aspects of managing a donor in the workup process. This includes assessing emotional well-being of the donor, performing the information session, and coordinating physical examination, stem cell collection, post donation follow-up, and completing required documentation. It may also include performing health screening as necessary.
We are hiring in Minneapolis or remotely across the continental United States. This position will be a part of a team that supports either the Central, Mountain, and Pacific Time Zones or the Central, Eastern, and Atlantic Time Zones, depending on candidate location. This position will also support donor efforts in Be The Match Mexico.
- Assesses donor needs, concerns and impact donation may have on donor and family. Develops a unique support and coordination relationship with the donor, respecting cultural and age-related needs.
- Schedules and conduct donor information sessions.
- Manages scheduling and follows through with the donor’s physical exam and medical clearance process, including reviewing physical exam results, participates in determining donor suitability and eligibility, and facilitating donor clearance with Donor Medical Services and the stem cell collection center.
- Completes all tasks required for donation including managing blood sample and autologous blood collections, verifying prescriptions of blood stem cells and marrow requested by transplant centers, and facilitating timely collection of samples used to determine infectious disease marker results.
- Responsible for communicating case progress with the Case Manager and donor; completing required documentation within designated timelines, and managing required case forms and paperwork.
- Establishes, as needed, and works with third party physical examination sites, potentially including the external agencies trained to administer filgrastim for NMDP donors.
- Contacts donor at designated NMDP time points to assesses donor recovery, arrange blood samples as needed, and determine if/when physician intervention is required.
- Responsible for removing donation barriers, resolving issues, contingency planning and adverse event management, as needed.
- Maintains accurate and concurrent documentation and records, following NMDP and department policies and requirements.
- Facilitates donor and recipient communication, information exchange and survivorship information, monitoring for confidentiality.
- Responsible for workup and collection activities under an Investigational New Drug (IND) or research protocol, as directed by the NMDP.
- Provides training to third party providers which are performing protocol activities on the donor management site’s behalf, when required.
Continuous Process Improvement:
- Implements and adopts strategies and systems to achieve Continuous Process Improvement (CPI) and organizational and department goals and targets.
- Attends NMDP sponsored meetings and trainings, as requested. Some travel may be required.
- Maintains operational and industry knowledge, keeping current with updated policies and procedures.
Other duties as required for donor management operations:
- Performs all duties in compliance with standard operating procedures, National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP) standards, regulations outlined in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Federal Drug Administration (FDA) guidance and other applicable Federal, state and local laws. Adheres to OSHA guidelines as applicable.
- Works with designated team members and staff to deliver the optimal donor experience and meet or exceed transplant center and patient expectations and needs for on-time delivery.
- Participates in shared team responsibilities and staff back-up, ensuring optimal coverage of cases.
- Participates on NMDP project teams and as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Job duties would be the same as the core position that they have been hired for, in addition, those duties would be done in a secondary language.
- Core functions would be expected to be revised as messaging is targeted to that distinct population.
- There may be some “extended duties” as assigned that may not be part of the core job, but would be required in an “interpreters” capacity, to include acting as a bilingual SME (subject matter expert) for various projects. Training would be provided for these extended services.
- Medical terminology, case-note documentation, and medical histories.
- Good Tissue Practices, Good Manufacturing Practices and Good Documentation Practices preferred.
- Demonstrate strong critical thinking and decision-making skills is required.
- Demonstrate intermediate computer skills including experience with Microsoft office software; strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
- Accurately and efficiently complete sensitive data forms.
- Exhibit well-developed interpersonal skills dealing with people of different cultures and styles.
- Demonstrate advanced communication skills to include writing and oral abilities to connect with a wide range of people to discuss sensitive information.
- Demonstrate strong customer service skills and ability to apply concepts of active listening and empathy in dealing with people who are experiencing major life decisions.
- Must exemplify our Be The Match Standards.
Education and/or Experience:
- Associate degree in nursing or other related healthcare field. Three years of combined relevant education, certification, or experience, in addition to the minimum experience, may be substituted for the degree requirement. Medical knowledge ideal.
- Four years of patient interaction or care experience within a healthcare setting.
- Bachelor’s degree in healthcare field and two years’ experience may be substituted for the minimum experience. Experience working in a regulated environment to include a demonstrated knowledge of Good Tissue Practices (GTP) preferred.
- Availability for occasional overnight travel and flexibility to work outside of core business hours (evenings, weekends and some holidays) is necessary.
- Experience working with communities in Mexico required.
- Bilingual: fluent native speaker of alternate language or BA/AA degree in alternate language- demonstration of fluency beyond “conversational”, ability to convey complex medical information, advanced communication (oral and written) skills, understanding of secondary language grammar.
- Knowledge of various secondary language cultures required.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!