Weekend News Editor at Cointelegraph
Weekend News Editor
- Location New York, New York
- Department Editorial
- Employment Type Full-Time
- Minimum Experience Experienced
- Compensation $48,000-$60,000
We’re an independent global media business with editors and journalists across the planet, reporting 24/7 for the benefit of the largest cryptocurrency audience in the world. Across the major social platforms, we have almost three million followers ranging from new adherents to the decentralized future to the O.G’s who started the cryptocurrency movement. At Cointelegraph, we don’t just accept difference- we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefits of our employees, our products, and our community. We currently have workers in 20+ countries from all different walks of life and because of this candidates applying should be aware that work hours will vary depending on where your team is located. We are proud to have such a global and diverse workforce, encouraging collaboration and understanding between all cultures. However you identify or whatever your path here, we are happy that you found us. Come join our team and help us build a global company where we’re all proud to belong.
Cointelegraph is widely known as the leading source for news about crypto and Web3. We are hiring a Weekend news editor for the U.S. shift. This is an opportunity to join a company with the stability of an enterprise organization but the excitement and growth opportunities of a startup. Cryptocurrency has come a long way since Bitcoin’s genesis block. This role provides an opportunity to take charge of our newsmaking processes over the weekend and update our readers on the latest developments from the crypto and blockchain space.
- Monitor and report on the latest news and announcements that come out over the weekend, without bias.
- Quickly react to breaking news, turning around briefs of 100–150 words in 20 minutes or less.
- Manage and produce longer featured stories that fit into the “weekend read” category.
- Liaise with major companies, niche projects and stakeholders, conducting interviews and sourcing original and pertinent stories.
- Writing headlines and social media copy that draw in readers. Post the newly published articles on social media.
- Use our in-house style guide (a slightly modified variant of AP style) to copy edit all content.
- Spearhead creative new content styles.
The Ideal Candidate
You are a crypto native that has a passion for the industry and journalistic excellence. You thrive working on your own but also love working as part of a team. You also will have the following skills:
- Ability to learn on the fly and keep track of day-to-day news flow in a quickly evolving industry.
- Deep knowledge of the cryptocurrency industry.
- Demonstrated excellence in news judgement.
- Experience working inside WordPress
- Expert English writing and editing skills.
- Work well within a team and organization.
- Strong skills in interviewing and building relationships with sources.
- Five years writing experience
- Three years editing experience
- Ability to work 5 days a week (Wednesday to Sunday or Saturday to Wednesday) is a major bonus.
- Experience in reporting on breaking news.
- Experience in both working and publishing content without supervision.
- Experience in managing a team of writers.
- Non-English language skills are a plus, especially Chinese (Mandarin), Spanish, Japanese or Russian.
- A nose for a story and the instinct to ignore PR blitzes.
Please answer the application questions and submit crypto specific writing samples.
CT Media, Inc is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.
If you need assistance or an accommodation in completing this application due to a disability, you may contact our HR Director, Chloe Reitherman at email@example.com or you may call us at +1 619-929-0343.