Location: Home based
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: International Consultant
Duration of Initial Contract: 6 months
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace, and security.
The Policy Division develops and implements the UN Women programme of work on analysis, research and knowledge management that provides the evidence base for the advice and guidance UN Women provides to the intergovernmental process, the UN system, and to UN Women staff working at country and regional level. It undertakes issues-based research; analyzes data on country, regional or global trends; builds a knowledge base on policy commitments and their implementation; proposes evidence-based options for global policy, norms and standards and for UN Women’s flagship programmes; and contributes substantive inputs to policy advocacy and technical cooperation programmes.
EmpowerWomen.org, the global movement for women’s economic empowerment, engages since 2013 gender equality advocates and empowers women to achieve their full economic potential in more than 190 countries. Empower Women equips over a million women and men with resources, opportunities and a global platform to become change-makers and leaders in their communities. It is built on Sitecore.
WeLearn is currently a prototype global learning portal (build on Moodle) that will offer experiential, personalized and learning curricula to support women’s full participation in the economy. WeLearn will focus on equipping women with the skills needed for the jobs of the future (entrepreneurship and employment), including 21st-century skills. It will provide access to customized, skills-based learning paths, a supportive community of learners and change-makers, and connections to real-world learning and employment opportunities that will empower women and girls and build a more gender-inclusive society. WeLearn will be piloted in Indonesia in 2019.
In 2019, UN Women will scale up its use of the two platforms to host and disseminate capacity development materials in all areas of economic empowerment, including on the Women’s Empowerment Principles, entrepreneurship, climate resilient agriculture, migration, and macroeconomics.
Reporting to the Policy Adviser for WEE and WEPs, and under direct supervision of the Innovation and Knowledge Management Specialist and in close collaboration with the Communication and Visibility Analyst, the Web Editor will be responsible for uploading, editing content for the Empower Women and WeLearn websites. The Web Editor will also work closely with the Editorial team to ensure that all web content published (e.g. stories, news, event) are presented in a user-friendly, convincing and comprehensive way. The Web Editor will work closely with the Communication and Visibility Analyst to post all web content on the Empower Women social media channels.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Manage and update the EmpowerWomen.org and WeLearn content and learning management systems (CMS/LMS);
- Provide support to Empower Women social media and communication work.
Description of key functions:
Support the management and updating of the Empower Women and WeLearn content and learning management systems:
- Support the mapping, vetting and daily uploading of resources on women’s economic empowerment to the content management system (Empower Women), including news, updates, resources, discussions, and other material;
- Upload, on a regular basis, learning curricula to the learning management system (WeLearn), including videos, text, quizzes and other learning material;
- Identifies and develops new micro-sites for communities of practice, including for project on rural women, sustainable development, migration, WE EMPOWER and the Women’s Empowerment Principles, in close collaboration with relevant staff and teams;
- Support multi-language content upload to Empower Women and WeLearn;
- Gather intelligence on online user behavior and suggest solutions on to engage them better on EmpowerWomen.org and social media channels;
- Support search engine optimization;
- Monitor web traffic statistics using applications, such as Google Analytics and Constant Contact, for monitoring and evaluation activities for the section’s programmes.
- Support the development of guides, checklists, and other learning materials for UN Women staff using the two platforms.
Provide support to Empower Women social media and communication work:
- Schedule social media messages and work on the campaigns to attract the attention of policy makers, private sector, bloggers, academia, donors, practitioners, politicians, and volunteers;
- Scan and monitor digital and social media sites, identify opportunities for the WE EMPOWER and WEPs community on digital platforms of other organizations.
Impact of Results:
- The key results have a major impact on the overall effectiveness of UN Women’s work on economic empowerment, leading to enhanced impact of the Organization on gender issues and the achievement of equality between women and men.
Core values and Guiding principles:
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff;
- Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values:
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
Development and Innovation:
- Take charge of self-development and take initiative.
Work in teams:
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multiethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communicating and Information Sharing:
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others.
- Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge.
Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making:
- Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
- Excellent skills in managing cutting-edge content management systems and strategies;
- In-depth understanding of social media platforms, tools, and strategies, including for driving traffic to web portals;
- Experience advocating for gender equality and women’s economic empowerment;
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
- Capable of handling large volumes of work under time constraints;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships with clients, demonstrating understanding of client’s perspective; anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in information technology, communications, social sciences or related fields.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience in the field of communication and electronic knowledge management initiatives;
- Experience in working in a multicultural and web-based environment.
- Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of another UN official language is an asset
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.