Website Daily Dot
Web Culture Reporter
Employer: The Daily Dot
Location: Remote or Austin, TX
Salary: Competitive annual salary + bonus, health, dental, life, 401k
Posted: Nov 30, 2016
Closes: Dec 30, 2016
Category: Digital Media, Editorial & Journalism, Publishing
Duration: Full Time
The Daily Dot is the web’s most comprehensive source for original internet news and among the fastest growing media companies in the world. Our content reaches 12 million readers each month. We tell the story of the Internet each day with uninhibited reporting on the people, apps, memes, and movements that are shaping the internet generation.
The Daily Dot’s Unclick section offers a sharp, authoritative, and entertaining look at the memes, #challenges, and quirkiest corners of the internet. We’re looking for a reporter who lives on Twitter and Tumblr, isn’t scared of 4chan, and knows their way around Reddit—someone capable of explaining internet trends with jurisdiction, insight, and humor. The ideal candidate can not only fire off a quick post about an errant tweet but also lend weight and depth to something seemingly silly or absurd through original reporting and analysis.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Find and pitch daily news stories, meme explainers, and more comprehensive features
- Develop a beat strategy to build sources and grow the section’s influence and network
- Work with editors and other members of the editorial team to identify ways to build a larger and more engaged online audience
- Develop a focused but conversational Daily Dot voice
Interested? Here’s what we’re looking for:
- You have 3+ years of journalism experience
- You are skilled in multitasking and prioritizing in a rapidly changing environment
- You are comfortable in a small, intense, and fast-growing startup/entrepreneurial environment
- You understand and know the Daily Dot brand and web culture, especially memes and viral phenomena
The Daily Dot recognizes the value of the broad and rich variety of experiences, ideas, and skills our team members bring to the business. Beyond compliance with government regulations, we foster diversity by encouraging an environment that taps the full potential of each employee consistent with the Daily Dot’s high standards of performance. We believe that there is an ongoing benefit to our families, employees, and community when the Daily Dot supports a diverse workforce.
We are committed to equal opportunity in all of our employment practices to all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital status, military status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity/transgender status, or veteran status.
How to apply
Send a cover letter and résumé.