VP of Marketing
Who We Are
FlexJobs is all about helping people find flexible jobs that make their lives better. We are committed to doing this internally and externally with integrity, intelligence, balance, communication, and care.
In the past 12+ years, FlexJobs has established itself as the leader in the professional flexible job market (remote, freelance, part-time, and flexible jobs) to help job seekers connect with employers that offer these highly desired arrangements, as well as to help employers reach these candidates. We do this in a way that makes the job search experience easier, safer, and faster for job seekers by utilizing both technology and human intelligence to provide a friendly, effective, and valuable service.
In terms of flexibility, we also walk the talk! This is a remote job, as our entire team works remotely from locations all across the United States, and most teams also have schedule flexibility to a notable degree.
The Opportunity – Big Picture
We are looking for someone who has a very well-rounded, left-brain/right-brain, connect-the-dots kind of approach to an exciting marketing ecosystem, and someone who revels in the details as well as the bigger picture strategy. There are three main areas we are looking to improve cohesion in, and that apply to all marketing efforts throughout the company:
- Marketing communications and writing
- Marketing operations and analytics
- Marketing strategy
Key areas of knowledge (deep familiarity, if not expertise) ideally include:
- Online content marketing
- Social media marketing
- Creative partnership relationship-building
- Affiliate marketing
- Online advertising and retargeting
- SEM/Performance marketing
- Email marketing
Our marketing team is fun, creative, and very collaborative! We value the importance of working with super smart people, having top-notch ethics, and helping people in a big way. If you feel the same, read on…
The Role Specifics
This is a new role that is ultimately responsible for strategically and cost effectively getting more people in our target audiences to: (1) know about FlexJobs as a resource through a variety of marketing platforms/mediums, and (2) come to the site and engage in our funnel.
In order to accomplish these goals, we are looking for a highly experienced and well-rounded marketing leader to work closely with the CEO to strategize, implement, oversee, and support innovative marketing growth that aligns with the business goals of the company. You will manage and work with the marketing, content, and PR teams to brainstorm and decide upon initiatives that align with the goals, oversee the execution of them, and measure the key metrics and success for each area. You will need to understand the importance of people, processes, holistic decision making, prioritization, and organization.
The marketing team at FlexJobs includes online advertising, partnerships, affiliates, content, social media, and public relations activity. There are several directors who currently report to the CEO, and she is the one setting and synching the overall strategy and efforts of the group. The VP role will take over the CEO’s level of involvement in order to expand the dedicated bandwidth to the marketing team. It’s important to know that everyone here rolls up their sleeves and “gets their hands dirty” when needed, and this role will be no exception.
Areas which will fall under your responsibility include but are not limited to:
- Working closely with the CEO and direct reports to propose and collaborate on setting goals (OKRs and others’ projects) for monthly and annual growth in all areas of marketing, including:
- Marketing communications for both job seekers and employer sides in digital, email, and on-site mediums
- Strategic partnerships
- Social media marketing
- SEM and performance marketing
- Advertising (mostly online) and retargeting
- Growth-oriented marketing projects or initiatives
- Online content marketing and strategy
- Media and PR integration
- Online reputation management
- Providing clarity and guidance to the team around goals, measurability, and accountability
- Prioritizing high-growth, high-quality marketing efforts that hold true to our CPA goals
- Identifying cost-effective revenue growth opportunities while mixing in the right calculated risks
- Oversight and management for communicating and managing key analytics, revenue metrics, and budgeting
- Optimizing collaboration and identifying opportunities throughout the marketing team in a creative, exciting way
- Coaching the team leads to continue to evolve and challenge themselves to be more effective
- Managing and providing accountability for the marketing team in order to successfully accomplish and/or re-evaluate goals with CEO approval
- Keeping a pulse on the competitive landscape for opportunities and risk assessment
You will report directly to the CEO and will be a member of the strategy team, so you’ll collaborate frequently with other team leads. Direct reports will include the director of marketing, director of content strategy, and director of PR & media.
- 5-10 years’ experience as a VP of Marketing, VP of MarComm, or other comparable senior role (big bonus if any of it is in the career or employment space)
- Marketing leadership at a web-based business (bonus points if any of it was a subscription revenue model)
- Excellent project management skills with a proven track record of assessing ideas, and creating and implementing successful marketing plans
- Mastery of and passion for using data and analytics (especially Google Analytics and Excel) to guide decisions
- Proven success managing/executing and current knowledge of performance marketing trends (Google Ads, Facebook, Commission Junction, retargeting, etc.)
- Experience working in both a small and/or entrepreneurially spirited company as well as in a mid-size growth organization
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or related field—years of applicable experience and excellent skill set may replace the educational requirement
Traits and Skills for This Role:
- Mature, pragmatic, kind, professional person who conducts oneself with integrity at all times
- Collaborative and humble leader who doesn’t hesitate to make the hard decisions
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Proactive and excellent verbal, written, and digital communication skills
- Truly enjoy digging in, learning about, and understanding our customers, the data, our business, and the market
- Exceptional critical thinking and analytical skills with a keen ability to balance short- and long-term goals
- Must be motivated with a healthy and respectful sense of curiosity
Traits Required of All Team Members, You Included:
- A sense of pride in your work and a passion for leading a team
- A streak of perfectionism when it comes to details
- Being highly organized, responsible, and ethical
- Being proactive when it comes to asking questions, brainstorming, and working with colleagues
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- An appreciation and enthusiasm for the ability to work remotely
- Interested in a full-time, long-term position with a company that you’re proud to be a part of
- You must have a fully functioning home office, including: high-speed Internet access, a fast computer, and reliable phone access. A dual monitor will be expected (and provided, if you don’t already have one)
- Your remote work environment must be one in which you can really focus without distractions and lapses in professionalism
How To Apply
If this job description makes you feel as if it was written perfectly for you, then please apply! What we’ll need:
- An intro email/cover letter telling us why you want to work for FlexJobs (vs. another company)
- Tell us what makes you a great fit for this position
- A current resume in .doc, .docx, .pdf, markdown, or .txt
- 3-5 professional references with summary of when and in what capacity you worked with them (can use strong LinkedIn recommendations for this, and we will not contact until after the 1st interview at least)
Applications can be sent through FlexJobs or by email to email@example.com.
If you are selected to move forward, you may be required to do a background check.
FlexJobs is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate and support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all employees.
FlexJobs is also a veteran and military spouse-friendly employer. Our positions are perfectly structured for qualified candidates who meet this criteria and we have a workplace culture that supports their work and life.