Paperpile creates beautiful software for students and researchers. Our web-app and upcoming mobile apps help our users to find, organize, and cite academic papers and books.
Originally started in Boston, we are now a distributed team across six countries.
Our product line and user base is growing fast, and we are looking for a designer that takes a central role in our company and supports our growth with a strong design and brand strategy.
- As part of a small team everything you do matters. You work on stuff that has a direct big impact on the product and our customers.
- Work from anywhere on your own schedule. We communicate with tools like Slack, Hangouts, Notion to move our product forward fast.
- Work with an interesting and diverse community of academics. Our customers use Paperpile to study climate change, cancer or medieval history. Your designs will make their work more productive.
About the position
- Available immediately
- Remote, or in Vienna/Austria.
- Contract, either part time (at least 20 hours/week) or full-time (depending on the scope of your role, see below).
- You take the lead to relaunch our website based on our new brand identity (and further develop it along the way).
- You create and maintain a consistent brand identity for all other elements of our online and offline presence.
- You support our social media and online advertising campaigns with original and effective designs.
- You create print materials such as posters, flyers, brochures, giveaways, T-shirts,…
- You create engaging illustrations for our products (e.g. on-boarding screens for our mobile apps, error screens,…)
- You create unique, artistic illustrations for our blog
- (Optional) You work with our product team to establish a UI/UX strategy that is consistent across our complete product line (web, mobile, desktop). You design effective and engaging UI components for new features in our apps.
- (Optional) You design and implement animations and visual effects to enhance videos (announcement of new features, educational videos, webinars,…)
- A comprehensive online portfolio showing different styles and types of work relevant for this position
- Strong visual aesthetic and understanding of colors, typography, iconography and branding
- Solid practical skills (Sketch or Illustrator, other relevant Adobe products, hand drawing, vector drawing, …)
- A strong attention to detail and sense of ownership
- You have excellent communication and time management skills so you can provide reliable and consistent results in our distributed team setting.
Optional (but very helpful)
- Experience with HTML and CSS and other relevant web technologies
- UI and UX design for web and mobile
- Animation and video production