Video Software Engineer at CBS Interactive
VIDEO SOFTWARE ENGINEER
CBS Business Unit: CBS Interactive
Job Type: Full-Time Staff
Job Location: Remote
CBS Interactive is the premier online content network for information and online operations of CBS Corporation as well as some of the top native digital brands in the entertainment industry. Our brands dive deep into the things people care about across entertainment, technology, news, games, business and sports. With over 1 billion users visiting our properties every quarter, we are a global top 10 web property and one of the largest premium content networks online.
Check us out on The Muse, Instagram and YouTube for an inside look into ‘Life At CBSi’ through employee testimonials, office photos and company updates.
The Video Technology Group develops industry-leading online and mobile video delivery systems and IP for CBS.com, CBSSports.com, CBS News, CNET, GameSpot.com, and the entire suite of CBS Interactive sites. Our team is responsible for the delivery of premium content to millions of people every day. We set company-wide video standards and help internal business units integrate the video delivery stack into their specific online products. Additionally, the team serves as the company’s information resource on current and future trends in digital video. This is a great opportunity for someone who is interested in doing high-visibility, mission-critical work.
The Video Processing team is a team working within the central Video Technology Group that oversees video processing and publishing workflows. It focuses on building and maintaining video encoding platforms for on-demand and live streaming workflows as well as integrations with CMS and publishing pipelines. The group works across the video ecosystem to enable all CBSi business units to deliver high-quality video through the use of cutting-edge technologies for maximizing user engagement and revenues.
We are looking for a Video Software Engineer who is passionate about large scale video ecosystems and cares about code quality, uptime, performance, continuous deployment, design principles, and test-driven development. You’ll be an integral part of the Video Processing team, working with engineers to build and release products for various platforms like Desktop, OTT, Mobile. You will be contributing to the design and implementation of components that will guarantee video processing quality at rapid speeds as we cover the CBSi Business Units requirements for on-demand and live streaming workflows.
- Assist in building out cloud-based microservices to support video processing workflows
- Maintain up to date and personalized encoding profiles for different content types
- Advocate, implement and integrate cutting edge technologies for video quality such as Per-title/Per-scene Encoding and the use of next-generation codecs and formats
- Encourage an engineering culture that promotes test-driven development and code coverage
- Architect, design, develop, test, maintain and improve software systems
- Collaborate with other engineers and members of the Video Processing team to determine priorities and best practices, and refine functional requirements
- Work in designing and building our on-the-fly packaging solution with dynamic bitrate ladders, thumbnails, DRM and SSAI integrations
- Assist in designing and building our next generation cloud-based on-demand encoding platform
What you bring to the team:
You have –
- Fluency in at least one systems programming languages such as C, C++ or Go
- Experience working with Cloud/SaaS services such as Amazon AWS, Google Cloud
- Experience with open-source web servers development like NGINX or Apache
- Understanding of video formats (H.264/AVC, H.265/HEVC, VP9, HDR-10) and packaging solutions (HLS, DASH, CMAF)
- Experience with technical writing and design documentation
You might also have –
- Experience with Digital Rights Management Systems (DRM), including PlayReady, Widevine & FairPlay
- Experience with ADS workflows like SCTE-35/ID3 payload manipulation, Google DAI & SSAI solutions in general
- Experience with open-source multimedia projects, such as FFmpeg
- Experience with Lua programming language
- Patches or code publicly available
- Open Source development experience
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!