Video Encoding – Packaging Engineer at api.video
Video Encoding/Packaging Engineer
api.video is an API-first platform that enables developers to build, scale and operate on-demand and live video streaming in their own apps and platforms in minutes, with just a few lines of code. The service handles the end-to-end workflow, from video ingestion to worldwide video delivery.
Overall description of the role:
As a Video Packaging Engineer, you will join our Core Team responsible for developing the API, encoding, and streaming pipeline both for VOD and Live streaming content. As a member of this team, you will play a key role in designing and implementing the new software architecture for the distributed media processing pipelines. You will work to improve our video and live packaging software to deliver the best experience to our end users by improving reliability and reducing latency induced by this process.
What will you be doing?
You will work to improve our video and live packaging software to deliver the best experience to our end users by improving reliability and reducing latency induced by this process.
- Conduct packaging/Encoding experiments to determine areas of improvement
- Optimize Video and Live streaming packaging process
- Design and develop video packaging performance measures and metrics
- Investigate and debug OTT streaming playback issues
- Develop and maintain documentation of streaming best practices, packaging parameters, etc.
- Design and implement algorithms for video encoding analysis, processing, and enhancement.
- Optimize Video and Live streaming pipelines (balance between encoding speed/video compression/video quality)
- Develop and maintain documentation of streaming best practices, encoding parameters, etc.
- Participate in the development of skills on the Core Video subjects of the team
What can you expect at api.video?
- Global presence with an international working environment
- 100% Remote possible (we have an HQ in Bordeaux, and we rely on many coworking spaces)
- We offer competitive salaries
- Flexible timetable – we value results over presence
- Work in your preferred System and OS (Mac, Linux, Microsoft)
- Your voice is valued and will count in our decision making
- Personal Growth. We invest in your career development; do you need books or to attend conferences? We got you covered!
What are we looking for?
- Knowledge and experience on containers like MP4, fMP4, CMAF, MPEG-2 TS, FLV
- Knowledge and experience on streaming protocols like HLS, DASH, LL-HLS, LL-DASH
- Familiar with video coding standards (AVC/H.264, HEVC/H.265, AV1, and VVC, etc.)
- Experience in development of packager software
- Solid programming, debugging, and optimization skills in one or more programming languages: C/C++, Go
- Collaborative mindset by working within a human-sized team and sharing expertise.
- You have deep understanding of encoding algorithms used throughout the encoding pipeline
- You have experience with subjective video quality assessment and evaluation
- You have in-depth knowledge of the theory and practice in the following areas: video understanding, video processing(frame rate, scaling, color, etc), video encoding, video streaming, video quality assessment
Nice to have:
- Knowledge of CDN architecture
- Experience in development in a multi-threaded environment and distributed architecture
- Knowledge and experience in video and live streaming pipelines.
- Experience in open-source multimedia projects (x264, FFMPEG, VLC, etc.)
- Experience in improving video encoding/packaging algorithms on CPU, GPU, and mobile platforms.
- Experience with HD audio