Vice President of Claims – Employee Benefits Services at The Standard
Title: Vice President of Claims, Employee Benefits Services
- Location: United States
At The Standard, you’ll join a team focused on putting our customers first.
Our continued success is driven by a high-performance culture. We’re looking for people who are collaborative, accountable, creative, agile and are driven by a passion for doing what’s right – across the company and in our local communities.
We offer a caring culture where you can make a real difference, every day.
Ready to reach your highest potential? Let’s work together.
Who We Are
The Standard is an insurance and financial services company headquartered in Portland, OR. The company has approximately 3,000 employees, 6 million customers and $34 billion in assets under administration. Our Employee Benefits business includes Group Life, Absence Management, and Long- and Short-Term Disability. Employee Benefits Services (EBS) is the service organization which provides key services (i.e., Sales Support, Policy Administration, Claims Administration, Shared Services, Contact Center) to Brokers, Employers, Insureds, and Claimants.
The EBS organization has approximately 1,100 people in three primary locations: Portland, OR, White Plains, NY, and Altavista, VA.
Candidates seeking a remote position are welcome and encouraged to apply. This position will require occasional travel to The Standard’s offices NY, OR and VA.
What You’ll Do
As VP of Claims, you’ll drive and implement the long-term strategic vision of our claims operations. Working directly with the VP of Life & Disability Services, EBS, you’ll have responsibility for leading the core claims areas (i.e. Short- and Long-Term Disability, Life and Absence Management) to support the future growth of the organization. You’ll be accountable for delivering a “Best-in-Class” customer/claimant experience, overseeing day-to-day execution to deliver customer value and drive top level performance.
Key Responsibilities and Competencies
- Set the vision, direction and strategic roadmap for the Claims team to improve and mature business operations and ensure they’re aligned with The Standard’s Employee Benefits Strategy and overall company strategy
- Maintain governance and an internal controls environment for risk-management, including information systems and preventative and detective controls
- Create and foster an inclusive and diverse organization
- Direct the development of overall claim investigation and management policy and procedures for all Employee Benefits products
- Develop and negotiate relationships with external vendors and firms for joint partnerships and strategic service agreements related to consulting, integrated disability management, claim resolution and similar services
- Drive continuous improvement through Lean in partnership with the Lean Center of Excellence
- Foster a culture of innovation to drive automation and improved customer value
- Direct the development of claims support for new products, product features and service offerings
- Maintain awareness of industry trends, expansion opportunities, customers and markets and liaise with external peers for matters relating to financial, legal, and regulatory issues.
- Ensure the highest levels of customer and employee satisfaction in collaboration with Employee Benefits and individual sales efforts to contribute to the sale and retention of business
- Work effectively with other internal departments such as market research and product marketing to contribute to product development and strengthen the company’s competitive position and reputation in the marketplace
- Monitor regulatory and legislative issues related to claims handling and ensure regulations are being followed
- Oversee change management and communicate critical information to stakeholders, partners, leaders and peers
- Establish relationships with internal and external stakeholders to support the business in achieving its strategic objectives
- Develop leadership talent to deliver performance and results while fostering an environment of continuous learning and sustained growth
The Skills and Background You’ll Need
- 15+ years of experience in a technical discipline with a proven track record leading comparable programs and teams
- 10+ years in a group insurance company in a senior staff role within a claims department
- 10+ years of people leadership experience in leading leaders in building, managing and/or developing high-performing teams
- Bachelor’s degree required
Additional and Preferred
- Advanced degree such as MBA or MIS
- Industry certifications e.g., LOMA, LIMRA, etc.
- Lean training and/or certification
What You’ll Get From Us
- A competitive salary and benefits package
- An engaging and inclusive work environment
- A performance driven culture with respect for people
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!