Vice President, Chief of Staff to the Chief People Officer at Upwork
Title: Vice President, Chief of Staff to the Chief People Officer
Location: United States
We are hiring a Chief of Staff to the Chief People Officer to partner with her & her leadership team for the Human Resources and Talent Innovation team. You will drive the CPO / HR partnership with other executives and teams , build strong relationships with the Upwork executive team & cross-functionally, and lead a portfolio of horizontal & function-specific strategic initiatives (including incubation of key bets for possible graduation & scaling throughout the company).
You will be a strategic thought partner and provide a sounding board while sharing perspectives with the CPO, HR team, and Upwork executive team. Over time, you will become a proxy as you make decisions and drive prioritization of time and effort through your relationship as a trusted advisor with her & the exec team.
- Extensive knowledge of progressive and innovative Human Resources organizations.
- Unquestionable ethics and integrity, a track record of impeccable judgment and doing the right thing even when nobody would know if you chose the easy alternative.
- Exceptional written, and oral communication skills that enable preparation of both numeric and narrative driven keynotes, BoD work, all hands, presentations, memos for a range of audiences.
- Track record of cross-functional leadership & comfort with partnering with Finance, Legal, Sales, Marketing, Product, Engineering etc. to meet the organization’s needs.
- Outstanding financial acumen and understanding of short and long term implications of decisions to lead long range planning, budget creation and management, as well as ongoing resource allocation and projections.
- Consultative mindset to weigh the opportunities and costs of key investments throughout our HR team.
- Excellent program/project management skills with the ability to drive multiple complex strategic and operational initiatives simultaneously.
- Ability to think strategically from first principles while leading with a sense of urgency through ambiguities.
- Strong external network with which to benchmark, knowledge share, and glean actionable insights.
- Proven history of collaboration and positive cultural impact in a distributed team.
- Bias for action and a mentality that no job is too big or too small to be done the right way.
What it takes to catch our eye:
- Past experience in a similar role in HR orgs (bonus for having lead an HR function, or been the key strategy or finance partner to HR, and / or driven M&A)
- 7+ years of experience in management consulting, private equity, or equivalent experience in a HR or Business Operations role for a technology company.
- Experience in structuring and executing complex analyses to support strategy in a fast-paced, continually evolving environment.
- Manage strategic planning and budgeting processes
- Work with leaders to develop OKRs, ensure alignment & support measurement
- Manage rhythm and cadences & optimize organizational processes, etc
- Maximize the time of the HR leadership team and the CPO
- Drive customer feedback loops & strengthen integration across the org
- Support continuous improvement in all people processes, tools, & cadences
- Support & champion continuous operational improvement and exploration. Partner with the LT to build processes and structures that can scale with the company & organization’s growth
- Identify tools that improve efficiency & alignment org-wide
- Incubation of new initiatives as appropriate and then spinning them off to other teams, or winding them down entirely and integrating our findings to future efforts.
- Advocating for all HR priorities, from L&D to DIBs to TA to Career Pathing to our Hybrid Workforce, especially when their leaders are not in the room.
- Sparring with CPO — pushing her to be a stronger leader, flagging blind spots, and advocating for key priorities.