Vice President, Brand Marketing at Citizen App
Title: VP, Brand Marketing
Citizen is the No. 1 personal safety app in the U.S., with a mission to make the world a safer place. Citizen provides 911 alerts so people can use their phones to keep themselves, and the people and places they love, safe. Citizen has notified people to evacuate burning buildings,, and led to the rescue of kidnapped children and missing people.
Citizen’s alerts are accompanied by live stories, real-time updates, and user-generated content so app users never have to wonder why there are fire engines passing by. By broadcasting from the scene of an incident and communicating with one another, communities are empowered by Citizen. We act fast, give people the immediate information to stay safe.
Our first paid product Citizen Protect is a only-of-its-kind personal safety subscription that allows users to reach a digital guardian 24/7 for $20/mo. Subscribers used Citizen Protect to guide emergency response to remote hiking locations, or travel safely on late-night walks..
Already relied on by millions of people every day, Citizen will continue to expand and prioritize We’re looking for hardworking, mission-driven individuals to join Citizen.
Citizen is backed by Sequoia Capital, 8VC, Founders Fund, Goodwater Capital, and Greycroft and has raised $100M+ in VC funding.
About The Role
Establishing Citizen’s reputation in the market as the leader in community safety is critical to our success. As VP of Brand, you will develop and execute Citizen’s brand strategy alongside the broader leadership team. You will build Citizen’s brand & comms organization from the ground up, working in close partnership with Growth, Product, Operations, and other teams to grow our community and keep more people safe and informed.
You will work closely with our leadership team to define our brand narrative and grow consumer awareness. This Marketing leader will build scalable campaign strategies, developing both national/global and hyper-local/grassroots initiatives to drive sustained growth.
What You’ll Do Here:
- Build and lead a team of outstanding marketers to ensure the success and adoption of Citizen across new and existing markets. Recruit, grow, motivate, and mentor the team, ensuring they are set up for success and successful in their roles.
- Develop long-term brand strategy and annual brand plans, defining the brand value proposition, messaging frameworks, customer segmentation and passion points map, with a strong calendar of compelling and inspirational brand initiatives. Work to ensure campaigns are properly conceived and executed end-to-end, partnering with Growth, Product and channel partners.
- Manage day-to-day brand management, working with cross-functional teams, to ensure that all channels (physical, digital, press, social) are integrated, cohesive and compelling and represent the brand objectives and revenue goals
- Design and coordinate implementation of a social media strategy across the company’s owned channels, ensuring it aligns with our business goals, voice, and brand, and improves engagement
- Develop and execute a communications & PR strategy that not only garners earned media but helps to establish Citizen as a key, respected voice in the conversation of community safety
- Manage external relationships with agency partners supporting brand, comms, and social functions
- Connect with our users to build a movement where people help each other stay safe using Citizen. This may include online and offline campaigns (ambassador and referral programs, influencer marketing, community outreach, content marketing, social media, etc) to impact existing markets and build demand in new markets pre-launch.
We’d Love to Hear From You if You Have:
- 10+ years of experience in Marketing, with an emphasis on building brands and content-based community
- You have proven ability in building, developing, organizing, and leading teams
- You’re an outstanding storyteller and communicator to executives, cross-functional leaders, and the broad and diverse Citizen community
- You are strategic and customer-obsessed, using insights to drive storytelling that resonates
- You can seamlessly flex between big picture thinking and best in class execution. You’re ready to roll up your sleeves and make an impact right away
- A mission-driven marketer and creative problem-solver. You are attracted to taking on big, complex problems (read: opportunities!)
Salary Range & Benefits:
The below represents the expected salary range for this position in New York, New York. We take a number of factors into account when determining compensation including your location, experience, and other job-related factors.
Salary Range: $200,000 to $275,000 annually + equity + benefits
Citizen offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, paid time off, company holidays, stock option plan, commuter benefits, and various wellness perks.
Citizen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected class.