UX – UI Designer at Kanopi Studios
Title: UX, UI Designer
- Location: US National or Canada
- Full time
This position is open to applicants in the US and Canada
About Our Company
Kanopi Studios is a Design, Development & Support Agency with a fully distributed team of people who are experts in Drupal & WordPress.
Our clients have a mission; we design, build and support websites that help their mission thrive.
But we want our employees to thrive as well. Because our team members do great work for great clients, Kanopi works hard to support them in their careers as they continue to create a better web.
As a result, our business continues to grow, and so must our team. We’re excited to announce this opportunity to join our team as a UX / UI Designer.
About the Job
As a UX / UI Designer, you will lead clients through the Discovery process, including but not limited to: stakeholder interviews, user feedback collection, and data analysis, synthesizing data into a formalized articulation of a go-forward strategy for the User Experience phase.
You will also lead the implementation of the User Experience and Visual Design phases, crafting and presenting deliverables such as user flows, customer journey maps, competitor reviews, Information Architecture (IA), sitemaps, template identification, content strategy, and responsive clickable/non-clickable wireframes, mood boards, pattern libraries, and visual design layouts.
You will be challenged to craft websites using a user-centered and data-driven approach, implementing usability testing to support your user experience approach, and can articulate the “why” behind your decisions. You understand the balance between what the client wants and what the user needs, and will make a case to gain client approval.
You have a deep understanding of the opportunities and limitations of the web medium, as well as information flow, accessibility, readability, and interface usability principles to create design solutions that are not only visually beautiful but also translate into highly functional, legible, and easy to use web pages and user interfaces.
This position reports to the Director of Experience.
As a UX / UI Designer, you can expect to:
- Lead clients and participants in Discovery and UX work sessions, workshops, and visual design conversations
- Create polished project deliverables like user flows, customer journey maps, IA, sitemaps, wireframes, etc.
- Implement usability and user testing for user-centric, data-driven UX work
- Contribute to design directions and collaborate with the creative services team to elevate deliverables
- Approach User Experience deliverables with an atomic design methodology, streamlining user interactions for visual implementation into pattern libraries, etc.
- Review designs with the internal project team to ensure: the goals of the strategy are communicated visually, that visuals are on brand and meet the clients’ needs, and that your work is estimated and delivered within the client’s budget and timeline
- Anticipate and proactively flag issues or other factors that could alter the project’s scope of work, budget, timelines, etc.
- Provide final files in an appropriate format to themers. Be available to answer questions that may arise in the process of executing designs
- Contribute to process enhancements within the UX and design disciplines
- Assist in the overall process of making the company awesome by building repeatable patterns for success and happiness.
- Most importantly, have fun working with an incredible team!
ABOUT THE COMPENSATION & WORK REQUIREMENTS
This position is full-time. Salary and compensation are commensurate with experience. Not to worry. The pay is competitive and what you’d expect for this role. This is a 100% remote role, but you must live and be able to work in North America.
NOW… LET’S TALK ABOUT YOU!
We are looking for candidates who:
- Have a BS or MS in related majors for UX and/or Visual Design, or equivalent work experience
- Have 5+ years of professional experience in web strategy and user experience
- Have 3+ years of experience working within an agency setting, preferably working remotely or with a distributed project team
- Have a strong portfolio providing examples of the deliverables mentioned within the job description
- Have experience directly interacting with clients
- Implement a mobile-first user experience methodology
- Demonstrate professionalism and are responsive to client needs
- Are comfortable context-switching between multiple projects in a fast-paced, multi-time-zone environment
- Demonstrate proactive verbal and written communication skills
- Take the initiative to learn and adapt to new applications and frameworks
- Are committed to delivering high-quality work on time with the ability to manage workflow proactively
- Anticipate client needs and proactively communicate potential issues
- Have a passion for the web, open-source development, and working with a community of fun, humorous folks!
At Kanopi, we believe a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and voices make for a better workplace. We strongly and enthusiastically encourage people of color, individuals who identify within and beyond the LGBTQ+ spectrum, women, and people with disabilities to apply.
If you think this post was written just for you, here’s what to do next:
- Submit your resume.
- Send us a cover letter, including your answer to the question below.
Now… About that cover letter… This is VERY important!
Please include all of the typical reasons why you’d be an outstanding candidate for this position, plus answer this question: What is your favorite piece of technology?
Our screening process takes a bit of time, because we like to ensure that you are the perfect fit for us, and we are the perfect fit for you! After we’ve taken a look at your application, we will send you a series of questions that will help us get to know you better. From there, you will engage in several interviews with members of our team, and a skills assessment or two in order to take a look at how you do the things you do! Some candidates may even do a mini-project, depending on the role you are interviewing for. We’ll be happy to explain a bit more once we’re in the interview stage.
Please note – we try to make an effort to contact every applicant to let you know the status of your application, but we are human, so if you don’t hear from us, drop us a line!
- Fully Remote: Work where and when you do your best. It’s about feeling connected to others, having a flexible schedule and staying healthy.
- Top Talent: Since we are not limited by walls, our ability to hire the best is limitless. Collaborate, learn and surround yourself with a strongly skilled and diverse team.
- Travel: Love to see the world? So do we. Just find a place with good wifi, get connected and make great work happen!
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!