2-2019JD – UX/UI Designer
Vancouver, BC – Remote OK
ActiveState Platform – made by developers for developers! We are reinventing build engineering with an on-demand SaaS Platform and CLI tool that lets developers automate the building of any runtime environment using any open source language ecosystem on any platform. In Beta right now, we support Python and Perl and we’re hiring to add more languages and packages! We’re building an ambitious language distribution platform so that no engineer ever has to suffer dependency hell again, and we need your help to do it!
This position is open to full-time telecommuters anywhere in North America. You can also choose to work from our headquarters in beautiful Vancouver, BC.
What you’ll be doing
As a UI and UX designer you’ll be working with the Head of UX to design experiences and interfaces that help take the pain out of software development for teams. You’ll be working primarily on a web app but our customers interact with our product in many ways so you’ll also be involved in designing for a command line interface, email communication channels and even a code editor.
You’ll work with product managers to gather requirements for new features as well as feedback from the Customer Success team for improvements. Based on these, you’ll design detailed wireframes which you’ll use to first gather feedback, then refine, and subsequently convert into implementation-ready guides for our front-end developers. You’ll collaborate with our front-end developers to get features released by giving feedback and testing throughout the process.
It’s a complex project with lots of moving parts. If you enjoy making complicated topics easy to understand for a variety of audiences, you’re looking in the right place.
What Are We Building?
A set of tools that helps developers set up the coding environments so they can be more productive. They’ll be selecting from a variety of configurable components like programming languages and packages as well as specifying the operating systems that they need everything to run on. We take this “recipe” and build an installable runtime environment they deploy and modify as new requirements arise.
What’s In It for You?
- Working for a stable and growing company that offers the environment and personal growth potential of a start-up.
- The chance to work with a smart, passionate team of people.
- The chance to work on a project that will change the work lives of developers around the world.
- Competitive salary, bonus, and stock option plan.
- Comprehensive benefits package and health/wellness credit program.
- Work with a variety of stakeholders to gather feature requirements and produce detailed wireframes
- Produce production ready assets and guidelines for front end development team and assist with implementation and testing
- Implement and evolve a design language and style guide
- Occasionally assist the marketing department with diagrams, images and feedback
- Strong knowledge of user interface design and user experience principles
- Familiarity with an iterative design process that culminates in production-ready guidelines for implementation
- Ability to work on a complex ecosystem of interrelated properties that work together to produce a unified experience
- Good communication skills. You’ll be presenting work to a diverse audience as well as to gather & synthesize feedback
- Ability to work within and evolve a consistent design language that spans across multiple properties and products.
- Working knowledge of HTML & CSS to help guide your design process
- Expert knowledge of design and wireframing tools of your choice
- Previous experience working on developer-focused tools
- Ability to create illustrations and diagrams
- Ability to write HTML & CSS code
- Previous experience with Github