UX Designer at Family Independence Initiative
(Full time, Remote)
- The Family Independence Initiative (FII) is a national organization that has developed a continuously evolving platform (UpTogether) to accelerate social and economic mobility for individuals and families living with low incomes.
- Over the past 19 years, FII has partnered directly with individuals and families to demonstrate that investment made directly in their strengths and initiatives delivers strong and sustainable outcomes for low-income families.
- We have proven that galvanizing social networks in low-income communities, honoring the self-determination of individual families, and leveraging existing capacities results in achieving significant progress toward social and economic mobility.
- Our focus now is on bringing this approach to philanthropic and government organizations throughout the country by encouraging the adoption of direct investment and the distribution of funds through our UpTogether platform.
- The UX Designer will support the development of our technology platform,
- UpTogether. We are looking to turn UpTogether into the operating system of a new social safety net that invests in people based on strengths rather than deficits.
- The new UpTogether will be a capital exchange network where social investors (philanthropic and government) make financial capital investments in low-income members on the platform, and members invest in each other, giving and receiving help and support in their communities.
- The UX Designer will work closely with the User Experience Researcher to intimately understand user needs, develop and document a user experience strategy, and advocate for these needs across every element of the UpTogether platform.
- The UX Designer will also collaborate as needed with the Product Manager and Engineering team to address user needs through technical solutions.
- The UX Designer reports to the Vice President of Marketing & Communications. This is a 100% remote position (must be based in the United States).
- Translate concepts into user flows, wireframes, mockups and prototypes that lead to intuitive user experiences.
- Design and deliver wireframes, user stories, user journeys, and high-fidelity mockups optimized for a wide range of mobile devices and web-based interfaces.
- Identify design problems and devise elegant solutions.
- Make strategic design and user-experience decisions related to core, and new, functions and features.
- Take a user-centered design approach to rapidly test and iterate your designs.
- Be a thoughtful voice for our users. Constantly thinking about new and improved use cases and features that will appeal to our users.
- Support design needs for website and promotional collateral, as needed
Qualifications, Attributes & Skills
- Proven experience as a UX Designer, UI Designer or similar role
- Strong portfolio of design projects
- Experience iteratively prototyping and testing designs in user research strongly preferred
- Experience working directly with developers for the implementation of designs
- Familiarity with interaction design, information architecture, and visual design
- Proficient in design software
- Hold a deep belief in the capacity of those living with low-incomes–that they know what is best for themselves, their families, and the achievement of their goals and can and will take the lead
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability to self-manage and work remotely
- Uber responsiveness
- Demonstrated ability to work across a broad range of responsibilities
Additionally, applicants should:
- Have instinctive trust in the innate capabilities of low-income families and communities.
- Be excited and energized by a dynamic work environment.
- Be keenly interested in learning from others
- Have a functional work environment and solid internet connection
- Demonstrated leadership through learning, creating solutions, and accountability.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to be agile and flexible.
- This is a full-time position with a competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision, 401(k), and vacation. Salary range is $75k – $95k.
We strive to create a community that embraces equity, diversity, and inclusion, and we support the efforts of others to build such communities. FII is committed to an inclusive work environment and welcomes a diverse pool of candidates in this search that represent the communities we work with..
To Apply* To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please submit a resume and cover letter via email, with subject line UX Designer to Michelle Chao-Nguyen at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter should outline how your work history and personal contribution would make a difference for FII. *Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!