User Experience Specialist – HCD
Job Locations US-Remote Work | US-Remote Work
# of Openings
Tier 4 – High
By Light is hiring a User Experience (UX) Specialist to support the Human Centered Design (HCD) of user experience interfaces. Our growing team is building a new UX Human Centered Design group to focus on leveraging both Design Research and Interaction Design to create elegant and effective user interfaces and software for the public sector. We think about UX Design with a focus on the importance of the customer/user and take a user-centered design approach beginning with an understanding of the business problem and performing the user research to understand where that intersects with the customer’s needs.
- Conduct user research by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data and leverage results of this data to inform design decisions.
- Create wireframes, mockups, and prototypes based on scalability requirements, as well as create websites, custom applications, and other interfaces that are easy to use.
- Design and structure the human-centered research portion of projects by planning for and leading teams through fieldwork, findings analysis, and insights syntheses.
- Participate in product ideation and conceptual development. Participate as a contributor to an interdisciplinary team that includes creative and market leads, project management, strategists, and hardware and software developers.
- Create visual designs that effectively communicate product function and brand identity, including the design and production of screen layouts, color palettes, typography, user interface elements, and icons.
- Produce user requirements specifications, journey maps, service blueprints, personas, storyboards, scenarios, flowcharts, interactive prototypes, and design specifications.
- Utilize project management skills to follow up on user experience issues and modify design features to accommodate a wide range of end users.
- Provide UCD, HCD, UX and related design subject training to internal and external audiences.
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science, design or another related field.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience working with user-centered design principles and best practices; visual design; and, user behavior and interaction models.
- Minimum of five (5) years of UI design experience in an Agile delivery environment which supports incremental development of high-quality, fully-tested application component every few weeks.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience eliciting requirements and synthesizing information from multiple sources to design rich customer experiences.
- High level of comfort working within a self-directed culture.
- Working knowledge of standard industry graphics design Proficiency with design and presentation applications (i. e. Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch, Paper, InVision).
- Master’s degree in computer science, design or another related field.
- U. S. Web Design System (USWDS) experience.
- Experience training others in UX and design concepts.
- Experience working on Veterans Affairs (VA) projects and knowledge of VA processes (e. g. VIP, PMAS, etc.).
- Active VA clearance and PIV.
Special Requirements/Security Clearance
- Must have ability to successfully complete background check
By Light provides a broad range of hardware, software, engineering, and IT integration services. Headquartered in Tysons, VA, we support defense, civilian, commercial, and health IT customers worldwide. We offer an excellent benefits package that includes: medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, paid time off, paid holidays, and 401(k) match.
An Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities