Television Editor at Polygon
TV Editor, Polygon
- Remote (US Only)
As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience’s daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street, and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
The TV Editor’s core responsibility is to produce critical writing, news analysis, and reported interviews that bring Polygon into the biggest cultural conversations surrounding television. The editor has a knowledge of TV history, but also a rabid interest in science fiction, historical fiction/fantasy, comics, and the emerging genres of the internet era. The editor is on top of networks and streamers’ blockbuster projects and their fanbases — from the Arrowverse to Avatar: The Last Airbender — but also looks for unique ways to cover breakout comedies and dramas with Polygon’s unique voice.
The editor sets the tone for Polygon’s entertainment section by balancing week-to-week release coverage with long-lead features, packages, and freelance commissions. Instead of leaning on recaps, we search for conversation-starters timed to the right moment. The writer keeps a finger on the pulse of what’s popular, works with studios and publicists to develop a content strategy and schedule, and bolsters their perspective with continued education and curiosity. They’re always ready to tell a story or share a new discovery.
- Write/edit 4-5 stories a week, a mix of news, trend pieces, timely reactions, short interviews, critical analysis, and reviews focused on the entertainment team’s key areas of interest, with a strong emphasis on genre TV.
- Conceive, plan, and complete one longform feature each month that we won’t see anywhere else.
- Contribute to recommendation coverage, including “best of” lists and “what to watch/read” curation.
- Assist editors in planning and executing themed packages tied to tentpole events and topics .
- Participate in weekly brainstorms and pitch sessions, and lead team discussions when applicable.
- Flex knowledge of online publishing tools, image curation, and search practices.
- Provide local or global event coverage when assigned
- Take a proactive role in shaping coverage, scheduling content, and assessing our distribution.
- Be an active participant during work hours, leveraging direct and passive communication tools to create a successful workflow.
- Pitch new stories each week, and be ready to springboard off a breaking topic.
- Help Polygon connect with new pockets of readers and increase readership year-over-year.
This role is a part of the Vox Media Union, represented by the Writers Guild of America, East
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You’ll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that’s challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!