Technology Manager – Business Development at American Family Insurance
Technology Manager – Business Development (Open)
Compensation may vary based on the job level and your geographic work location.
At American Family Ventures (AFV), we understand that being a pioneer has its risks. But pioneers are the first to learn and to evolve, and the expertise that comes from that journey has never been more valuable. Insurance is entering a period of profound transformation. Anyone seeking to capitalize on this moment needs a partner to guide them. We’ve established ourselves as that venture partner of choice: for investors, for portfolio companies, and for startups in general.
The Technology Manager is responsible for the strategic direction and delivery of key productivity and interaction solutions for Business Development, AmFam Ventures and American Family Adjacency Holdings. This includes communication, productivity, social media capabilities and corporate video and meeting room conferencing capabilities. Manages implementation as well as the support of communications and collaboration technologies and solutions. Maintains an active awareness of American Family’s corporate strategies, values, business environments, and structure to support key decision making.
Our team is pioneering innovation in the insurance industry through our investing, acquisition and venture build capabilities. The technology team supports our internal business partners in achieving their goals.
Strategic Direction of Communications and Collaboration Technology (30%)
- Directs, through research, business requirements, innovation and proposals, the technology solutions procured by the corporation.
- Directs the architectural design, development and enhancement of technology infrastructure. Makes strategic decisions regarding the life cycles of these systems and platforms.
- Develops service definitions and maps existing systems and devices to those service levels.
- Delivers technology solutions for security, regulatory and legal compliance associated with the major functions of the domain.
Management/Leadership for Department or Unit (25%)
- Manages direct reports, systems, and projects to achieve department/unit goals in accordance with Company policies and practices.
- Prepares and analyzes department/unit plans and reports.
- Provides leadership by exhibiting influence and expertise, thus affecting the results of the operating area.
- Creates an effective work environment by developing a common vision, setting clear objectives, expecting teamwork, recognizing outstanding performance, and maintaining open communications.
- Develops staff through coaching, providing performance feedback, providing effective performance assessments, and establishing performance & development plans.
Communications & Collaboration Technologies Implementation & Support (20%)
- Oversees the development of functional requirements; this includes the creation of charters and other project control documents.
- Reviews schedules, approach, and implementation of technology requirements to manage technology lifecycles.
- Oversees testing; assists in deployment and production implementation where applicable with the service delivery change and release management areas.
- Provides capacity planning and service level metrics where appropriate.
Strategies Linked to the Division’s Business Goals/Results (15%)
- Establishes, communicates, and implements departmental plans, objectives, and strategies.
- Participates as a member of the Management Team.
- Maintains an active awareness of American Family’s business environments, corporate culture, and structure to support key decision-making.
Major Functions/Areas For Which You Are Accountable and Their Primary Results (10%)
- Electronic mail and other asynchronous communications solutions: includes SMTP based e-mail systems, content archival management, content monitoring for malware and data loss protection, secure e-mail delivery solutions, and e-mail business systems integration.
- Social network and collaboration solutions: includes Web 2.0 team and group collaboration, instant messaging, bulletin boards, discussion groups, workflows, and document management.
- Office productivity solutions and tools: includes solutions that provide integrated work processing, presentation delivery, spreadsheet analysis, database management, forms processing, publishing, enterprise content searching, and knowledge management.
- Web conferencing solutions and tools: includes scheduling and time management solutions as well as meeting and presentation delivery solutions.
- Electronic facsimile (fax) solutions and tools: includes solutions that provide enterprise wide management of incoming customer and business partner fax content and the electronic distribution of that content to appropriate systems and users.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions, support or service
- Basic knowledge and understanding of networking technologies. This includes IP networking, SIP, MPLS, ATM, Cisco routing and switching, Citrix load balancing, mobile cellular, mobile satellite.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of other integrations and services such as I-3, Facebook, Twitter and other external social networking expertise.
- Demonstrated experience in architecture design, development and maintaining communications and collaboration technologies in an environment supporting 20,000+ users across 3,000+ locations.
- Demonstrated leadership or management experience.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding with electronic mail, social networking and collaboration, office productivity solutions, electronic conferencing solutions, and enterprise fax solutions. Also requires expertise in delivering technology solutions for security, regulatory and legal compliance associated with communications and collaboration solutions and tools. Major systems include MS Exchange, MS Lync, MS SharePoint, MS Office, Enterprise Rightfax, WebEx, Enterprise search engines, and knowledge management.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of server, storage, workstation and mobile technologies used to support telecommunications and customer contact solutions and services. This includes Intel based computing platforms using Windows, IIS, VMWare, EMC storage, and a general knowledge of Linux and JBoss.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of the security, privacy, business and regulatory requirements associated with communications and collaboration technologies and solutions. This includes PCI, SEC, GLB and HIPAA regulatory requirements, general content privacy and security requirements, MS Active Directory, Symantec Endpoint protection, and IronPort malware protection.
Additional Job Information:
- Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the results of applicable background checks.
- Offer to selected candidate is contingent on signing a non-disclosure agreement for proprietary information, trade secrets, and inventions.
- Our policy restricts consideration of applicants needing employment sponsorship (visas) to specialty occupations. Sponsorship will not be considered for this position.
- We are open to hiring/working remotely (anywhere in the USA).
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!