Technical SEO Manager at Swappa
We’re Swappa. A people-powered marketplace for consumer tech, including smartphones, laptops, video games and smart home tech. With hundreds of thousands of happy buyers and sellers, a nearly-perfect Trustpilot review rating and a strict no junk, no jerks policy — we pride ourselves on making the experience of buying and selling quality used tech safe and simple. All while saving people a ton of dough.
Swappa’s Technical SEO Manager will guide our search optimization efforts and drive our broader search strategy, working heavily with our Director of Marketing, CEO and Chief Business Development Officer. Sure there will be keyword research, SERP landscape/ competitor analysis, but we’re looking for someone that has the technical chops to really grow organic visibility into traffic that converts.
The vast majority of Swappa’s traffic to date is driven by organic search and word of mouth; but within our various product categories and home-grown platform, we’re looking for aggressive, holistic strategies and solid technical skills that will really make a meaningful difference for Swappa. We move fast and truly care about the work we do daily to build a brand people love.
Swappa is a distributed team spread out all over the world. This is a full-time, remote, work-from-almost-anywhere role though a large portion of our team resides in the US. Experience working within a fully remote team is preferred.
- Collaboratively work with marketing, business development and development teams to build, execute and optimize organic search strategies that further our position in a crowded industry
- Define, execute and champion a strategic and comprehensive organic roadmap as part of our integrated marketing plan. And be ready to pivot, iterate and collaborate on this plan
- Regularly perform site audits and SERP analysis to optimize our position and rankings across multiple categories, identifying opportunities for improvement (both as a signal to Google and users)
- Analyze and identify keyword opportunities and work with content and PR teams
- Routinely collaborate on CRO and Google/Bing shopping efforts to aid organic and the user experience, persuading with data, not fluff or general sweeping statements
- Develop well-thought-out theories on how we’re performing and how to improve. Be able to articulate SEO technical requirements, functional specifications and establish organic standards for site health and performance
- Constantly report on progress and challenges for multiple product categories and present actionable recommendations based on what you see in the SERP, analytics, and competition
- You have vast technical SEO experience on large, e-commerce sites and have demonstrated organic growth due to your recommendations (canonicalization, metadata, sitemaps, pagination, site speeds are just the start)
- Deep level of expertise with Screaming Frog, SEMRush (or similar tools), Search Console, Google Analytics and Webmaster tools
- Advanced Excel and Data Studio skills (pivots, look up and even regex are all part of your normal daily routine)
- Experience and ability to research and make actionable and data-informed recommendations based on your findings. We have a world-class development team that can implement but we’ll need you to be able to speak the language to get things done
- You like to execute, test, iterate and are not just about “big ideas” and “strategy”. If you’ve lived through a core algorithm update, you understand it’s not just about content updates and SEO basics anymore
- You are insanely curious and are always trying to improve your craft. You relish the opportunity to educate from article shares to hands-on learning. For you, SEO is both an art and science — speaking in plain-speak and helping people understand search engines is part of the game but there’s more to winning the hearts and minds of internal stakeholders
Though we’ve been around awhile, are bootstrapped and profitable, Swappa still operates a lot like a startup. Everyone on our team wears many hats (sometimes it’s the CEO that’s working on and deploying your recommendations) and does whatever it takes to get the job done. Egos are left at the door and the phrase “that’s not my job” never flies here.
You must be motivated, responsible and autonomous to be successful at Swappa. If you’re looking to be dropped into structured corporate machinery with year-long plans and big, predefined budgets, this is not the job for you. The ability to pivot is crucial to your success. If you like the idea of working remotely for a small company with big aspirations this may be a great opportunity.
Let us know if you think you can help. We’d love to chat with you.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!