Technical Instructor, Software Engineer at Per Scholas Inc
Technical Instructor, Software Engineer
- (Multiple states)
- Full Time
- Per Scholas
- POSITION TITLE: Technical Instructor
- LOCATION: Fully Remote
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
Per Scholas is seeking a Technical Instructor to deliver high-end technical training to underemployed and unemployed community residents for purposes of higher economic development and improvement of quality of life. The Technical Instructor must be self-directed, self-motivated, and comfortable with making intermediate-level decisions to adapt processes and curriculum delivery based on current conditions. The Technical Instructor works in collaboration with peers on dealing with students, and works with the Managing Director to change policies and procedures, and on strategic planning.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Deliver technology skills training and assessments to prepare students for careers in the field of software development
- Deliver training in, but not limited to: HTML, CSS, Python, Java, SDLC
- Deliver backend training in Express, Django(python) – Springboot (java), JDBC
- Deliver full CRUD applications including using NoSQL, Postgres SQL, mongoDB
- Manage daily instruction, assessment administration, attendance tracking, one-on-one tutoring, student evaluation, and individual student progress monitoring
- Prepare training lessons and materials, leveraging existing PS curriculum content
- Create, submit, and maintain training curricula for approval and school files
- Work closely with Program Design team to create student content on the PS Academy
- Work closely with co-instructors or teaching assistants to provide students with meaningful and prompt feedback on their progress
- Work closely with the team to identify student needs, provide the necessary support, and establish individualized plans for student achievement
- Maintain Salesforce database with student scores and attendance data
- Monitor student compliance to attendance and other program policies, and address violations with students in a consistent manner. Work with Manager, Career Advancement to ensure documents such as probationary and termination letters are prepared and delivered
- Work with Career Advancement team to engage volunteers from the business community as they interact with students as classroom speakers, mentors, and small group coaches
- Work with Career Advancement team to recommend students for particular employment opportunities
- Work with Career Advancement team to support alumni in completing additional requirements
- Learn new software tools, languages, and technologies as needed
- Connect students with the resources necessary for them to overcome potential barriers to maintaining success in school
WHAT YOU’LL BRING TO US:
- You have at least 3+ years of experience working on a software development team.
- You have working experience in both front-end and back-end development and are fluent in HTML/5, CSS/3, and Java Script.
- At least one front end framework (Angular or React preferred).
- At least one additional object-oriented language (Java or C++).
- A Bachelor’s (or Master’s) degree in a related field is preferred but not required.
- Experience with curriculum, syllabus development, and lesson planning.
- Experience with student assessment; and a talent to continuously evaluate the curriculum to identify what is working and what improvements can be made
- You thrive in a creative, inventive, fast-paced startup environment with people who are passionate about their work and mission.
- You are data-driven, result-oriented and a forward-looking catalyst for social change.
- You have a collaborative and flexible work style. You’re excited to work cross-functionally with other departments and independently.
- You are an effective communicator with strong oral and written skills.
- You are tech savvy and can learn fast.
- You are strong at managing your time and you can balance multiple projects and tasks.
- You stand behind our mission, believing that individuals from any community should be able to access well-paying career positions, and that talent should be recognized and recruited from many diverse sources.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!